Suitable Motor For Logan 200?

The N3 will work fine but is 220V input only. On the plus side the N3 has one real nice feature, it comes with a metal cover with knockouts that covers the terminals. This can save you significant time if you don't plan to mount your VFD in an enclosure. I believe the L510 will work fine. It has the advantage of 110V input as an option on models 1 hp and lower. With the L510 you will need to mount it in an enclosure or figure out some other way to cover the connections.

I had 2 of my VFD's mixed up, I actually have a 7300 on my Logan, the N3 I have is on my wood jointer. They are basically the same except the 7300 doesn't have the metal cover for the connections and is beige rather than the dark grey of the N3.

N3 on my wood jointer (sorry for the sideways picture, it looks fine on my computer):

IMG_0735.JPG

7300 on my Logan, note hacked up and ventilated gray plastic box to cover up electrical connections:
logan820_a4.JPG

Last edited:
I have single phase 220 available next to the lathe, so that's what I plan on using and the NEMA cover is a plus. With the VFD under the lathe, did you wire up
any remote controls?

Yes start, stop. speed, forward/reverse*. It is mounted in the same location the original drum switch was mounted. The original drum switch had been trashed by the previous owner.
I like the big red stop and green start but I'm not thrilled with the speed knob, it's small and hard to turn. Someday I may redo those controls.

*Actually reverse is currently programmed inactive, I did that on purpose when I first got the lathe running and I haven't really found a need for it yet. I's been about 4 years I think :)

logan820_a7.JPG

Looks like a good setup Rich. My lathe will be right next to the wall where the circuit breaker panel lives, so I may just panel mount the VFD to the wall and
drive from the VFD itself. I noticed that TECO's product literature specifies fast blow fuses on the input side of the VFD, so I guess I'll get a small enclosure
for them and a master on/off switch and call it good.

I hadn't planned on getting the motor quite yet, but a perfect NOS motor showed up on eBay for about 1/2 the usual street price, so I jumped on it. Score!

DSCF7116_zpswjc1g0gv.jpg

I don't know if I missed it or not, please explain what was wrong with the old motor? Congratulations on the finding a new suitable replacement, can't have too many motors.

The pulley on the old motor is a 3/4 bore that was poorly sleeved: the result was that they tightened the set screw everywhere but on a key (there wasn't one) so the shaft is munched up. The
bearings feel a bit rough to me. And, it's not a candidate for a VFD.

Back