Suitable Motor For Logan 200?

They could be significant with a heavy chuck swinging a big chunk of metal, back gears and feed gears engaged... Looking through the old catalogs for Atlas, Logan and Delta Rockwell you will see capacitor start motors recommended for lathes and even drill presses. Both Atlas and Delta listed split phase motors but I have never seen one recommended for any of their machines. I have not done an exhaustive search so there may be something lurking out there that I missed. Split phase motors typically don't like frequent starts, this may be why they aren't recommended for drill presses.

OK, good info. I guess I'll pass on split phase motors.

I don't think that a thermal overload is necessary on a lathe as no one is likely to be dumb enough to start one and then walk away. I now consider them a requirement on cutoff saws after burning up the motor on mine, but that's unrelated. I just wanted to mention the danger of automatic reset JIC you ended up having one as a choice. To replace my saw motor, I had to go with a more expensive one than I really needed because the only one available otherwise exactly right had an auto reset breaker.

I appreciate the info and I'll watch for that in the motor specs. You guys are giving me an excellent education in motors. I think I need to have a re-think
about the possibilities here.

As to the motor HP issue, somewhere I've read that the 3/4 HP motor helped the Logan 200, but the 1HP was too much. May even have been somewhere within this forum. My selection was based mostly on convenience and cost - there appear to be a lot of 3/4 HP motors showing up on Craigslist, and the one I found had not been used.

I have only very limited experience with my lathe. I did find the center drills work much better if the spindle is turning the right way :).

After a bit of a re-think, I'm leaning towards a 3 phase 1/2 HP motor driven by single phase 220 and a VFD. Dayton makes a 56 frame general purpose motor (31TT08)
that looks like the business: it should fit my lathe with no problem and it should be fine on startup with the VFD. I emailed Dealer's Industrial and they verified it's
suitable for the VFD. Best of all, I think I have a line on a new old stock motor at a pretty nice discount. Am I missing anything here?

Nothing that I can think of. That sounds like a good solution.

I have a VFD on my Logan 1825 10" lathe. It works nicely. One word of caution though. Becareful when you start playing around with the stopping time functions. You can program the VFD to coast to a stop, to stop in 5 seconds or 20 seconds, what every you want. Just don't program it to stop in less that 5 seconds, or the chuck might just spin itself off off of the spindle. DAMHIN. Same caution applies to programming for reverse. Use a ramp up time of at least 5 seconds. VFDs are fun, have lots of options and are very useful. I especially like the variable speed option, but usually don't go below 30 cps.

Thanks Jim. I was aware of the possibility of spinning the chuck off, but it's good to be reminded. Which VFD did you buy? I was thinking about a TECO.

It won't hurt anything but 5 seconds is perhaps a little bit of overkill.

I have a Teco N3 (basically the same as the 7300) on my Logan and it works great. I would avoid the Teco FM50, it fine for phase conversion but it is not sensorless vector and it has very limited options for external controls.

A fairly basic VFD would probably do the job for me: mostly I want it for speed control and phase conversion so the N3 looks like it would do the job. TECO also has a
new 510 series that replaces the JNEV line. Am I correct in assuming this for more complex applications, with greater programming options?

Back