Suggestions on drill press

i may be considered a heretic here, but-
for drill press work, i clamp the work in a vise, but, i rarely clamp the vise to the table.
unless i'm drilling plastics with normal metal drilling bits
i usually allow the vise to float during drilling and have a hand on the vise or the work.
when i need to prevent the vise from rotating,
i'll use a C-clamp or the very handy Vise-Grip big C Clamp, clamped to the table in close proximity to the vise base (in the direction of spindle rotation),
and drill as necessary.
i get tactile response from having a hand on the vice or work and can feel when the material is drilling properly.
you'd be surprised what the tactile difference between a sharp and a dulled bit feels like, when you are not locked down and have a hand on the work.

When I posted my setup initially from Tapatalk, I was able to see my picture. Then last night I realized some did not and I tried to follow the instructions in the posted link and I think it made matters worst. Perhaps some clarity can be brought to that issue by those in the know. But for completeness, let me try to post the picture here from a desktop computer. Enjoy!

DrillPressVise_01.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't drill holes in the table. You'll end up with Swiss cheese and be disappointed that no one wants to purchase it from you, when it's time to make room in your shop for something else.

Anyway, here's a couple of possible alternatives. A few months ago, I went to look at a Very nice, old, monster, 22" camel back drill press. The owner was deceased, but he had made up a large round flat plate to fit on top of his pristine condition DP table. The plate was milled and scraped to under .001" flatness. He made slots and drilled holes in this cover plate to hold his work holding fixtures and a couple of sized vices. Iam guessing ever 10 years or so he either reconditioned the plate, or replaced it, as the underlying table was immaculate. Simply amazing to see.

Also you could set up a large C clamp, maybe with a piece of bar stock underneath, on the side of the table. This to create a stop, against which to wedge a vise, or the work itself when drilling. Keeps the work,and/or fixture from turning. Very easy to adjust or remove when it's not needed.

BTW. I sure like the other suggestions and photos about holding the work by bracing a piece of bar stock against the column. Simple and effective! genius!

Glenn

Last edited:
Back