Suggestions on drill press

Surveywaters

Registered
Registered
I just finished refurbishing a Rockwell-Delta 15-655 drill press. The table is a nice, undamaged, adjustable production type. Production type meaning it's a smooth surface with no holes or t-slots. I am struggling with clamping and fixture solutions. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Should I drill and tap holes, mill t-slots, make cut outs, or is there a clamp that can be used with out molesting the table?

Check out:
I wouldn't drill / tap holes. I try not to change a machine in anyway that I can't take back.
Also, you can't safely just let her spin.
Consider making a column clamp which swings on the column and the float slide attaches to the ear(s) of the DP vise.

Daryl
MN

I've checked out Tom's video, love that clamp. The idea of a column collar hadn't occurred to me. That might work perfectly. I really didn't want to modify the table, just not clear on how the smooth tops are used.

[QUOTE="Uglydog, post: 513787, m
Consider making a column clamp which swings on the column and the float slide attaches to the ear(s) of the DP vise.

Daryl
MN[/QUOTE]

How are you picturing a column clamp? My press, like Mr. Lipton's, has a rack for lifting the table. This would prevent it from pivoting on the column.

A related question, again not understanding this type of table. How does one use a camp or DP vice and avoid damaging the table surface? I like Tom's sliding clamp, but with out the through hole it looks like a pain to position wood everytime.

You could mount a drill press vise on a piece of plywood same width as the table, then clamp the plywood on either side of the table.

If you have a milling machine you could mill a slot in a piece of bar, clamped across the table, then use T nuts in the slots to clamp work to the table without the vise.

What types / dimensions of work do you expect to be drilling? I presume metal more than wood.

First, clamping a board or bar on the table is slightly difficult because the table has a coolant trough all the way around the perimeter. As for the types of material, like most here I am a hobbyist and as such tend to work on many different types of projects. I've drill many types of steel, aluminum, brass, polymers, etc. All in different sizes and shapes. I have a lathe and a mill. I work on vintage motorcycles and anything that breaks or I find interesting.

First, clamping a board or bar on the table is slightly difficult because the table has a coolant trough all the way around the perimeter.

We are all shooting in the dark without a picture of the drill press. I was going by the description that the table was a smooth surface. No mention of a trough.

How are you picturing a column clamp?

Historically I over complicate things.
However, I'm envisioning a bushing with a keyway slot. With a second bushing which slides around on top of a shoulder. If you wanted to go nuts you could even turn a groove and place some bearings in the trough to make it easier to pivot.

Daryl
MN

Guys, the basic idea in Tom's video is to have something preventing the piece from spinning with the bit, let's agree on that first.

Then, it is obvious that there is no clamping to the column that is necessary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Back