Suggestions on drill press

Oops, hit the send button by error.

Let me continue and complete my idea. No need to clamp to the column, just take your favorite drill press vise of any kind and attach some kind of bar to the left side of it. It can be some steel tubing, perhaps 1.5"x1.5". Just use whatever you have.

The bar should be long enough so that it touches the column when used anywhere on the table, and ifeally, it should stick out at least 4" to 6" on the operator side of the vice.

Hold your piece to drill in the vice. Position the vice for drilling the hole, all the while making sure that the bar is very close to the column or, ideally touches it.

That's it. Drill. If the bit catches, the piece and the whole vice assembly will spin a fraction of a degree for an instant and is immediately stopped by the column.

Problem solved. You can thank me later!

Here is my setup:

bfc5f47ab9feadaf1060deb5b4323a3b.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the drill press table, don't mind the HF vice there it's not my end game. I like the idea of the clamp with a shoulder containing the pivot point. The idea of just having the rod loose works until I have a longer piece that wants to lever the vice up.
a6d924d73e88dc4938e4c42cc43d17a4.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Personally, I would have no issues drilling and tapping holes to mount a vise or cutting a center hole for drill clearance. The machine was meant to be used, do whatever is needed to use it. To be clear I'm not talking about careless "apprentice marks", that's always a no no.

Surveywaters, you say

The idea of just having the rod loose works until I have a longer piece that wants to lever the vice up.

If you are talking about the problem of holding a long unbalanced piece stationary while you drill, that's not really a vise problem. You hold the piece with your hand or some external temporary stand.

My solution does not address this point which is a once in a blue moon situation that you adress on the spot with a situation specific solution. It adresses the main point which is drill press safety. Avoiding to have a piece start spinning on you is the most important thing and my solution adresses that 100%. Look at the physics of the problem, nothing more than that is needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

That is a valid point. I do like the simplicity. It is hard to pass up on the opportunity for an overly complicated project though.

To our tapatalk users, posting pictures here is different than other sites apparently,
all we see is The dreaded red X
Look in the site help/issues section for "posting pictures using tapatalk "
Thanks

All I saw was the red x until I signed into Tapatalk. Then the pictures appeared

A lot here don't use tapatalk, me included, is tapatalk going to be another photo bucket snafo?
There is a way to use it here that works

Probably... I'd never heard of it until this morning when I couldn't see jacques_rioux's picture.

Back