Stupid questions thread

The youth of today. We get co-op students from the high school to let them experience what it s like to work. Had a sixteen year old sweep up a lounge and Dining rm. twenty minutes lates he finds me with the dustpan full of dirt. Looks at me and I kid you not then says to me " what should I do with this?"
Lord give me strength!

"Hey, Harry! What's Joe's last name?"

"Joe who?"

Tom
Good one! When I was in High School my buddy and I had a variant of that. We'd usually do this while waiting in a line as people tend to eavesdrop in these situations. It always turned heads. Speaking a little loudly we'd say;
Mike: Do you know Fred Johnson?
Me: What's his name?
Mike: Who?
Me: Fred Johnson.
Mike: I never heard of him.

My new mill needs 220 volts. I don't have any in my garage, so I wired two 110 volt plugs in series, to get the 220, but its still not turning on. Do I need to wire them in parallel?

My new mill needs 220 volts. I don't have any in my garage, so I wired two 110 volt plugs in series, to get the 220, but its still not turning on. Do I need to wire them in parallel?
I had a shop once where the 220v came from 2 - 110v circuits. Not in series though....

I had a shop once where the 220v came from 2 - 110v circuits. Not in series though....
I had a friend restoring a car in a garage that he rented. There was no 220V outlets, byt checking around, we found two outlets on different legs. He wired two 110 volt power cords. One plugged in right next to the compressor, the other ran around the back wall, to the other side of the garage. Worked great, but now that I'm am older, and better knowledged, I can see the issue if someone unplugged one cord, and does not realize there is another power source, feeding live power.

I had a friend restoring a car in a garage that he rented. There was no 220V outlets, byt checking around, we found two outlets on different legs. He wired two 110 volt power cords. One plugged in right next to the compressor, the other ran around the back wall, to the other side of the garage. Worked great, but now that I'm am older, and better knowledged, I can see the issue if someone unplugged one cord, and does not realize there is another power source, feeding live power.
You guys are doing it the hard way. All you need to do is take a hacksaw and cut one of the prongs off the plug, grind the others down to fit, and it will run fine on 110v.

(Sheesh.)

Back