Stuck Lathe Carrage Cross Feed.

Jim, those were the days! My manual impact driver dates back to the early 70s. Saved my butt more than once on expensive motorcycle screws.

Marv,
Quite certain it is right hand thread. One caution about impact driving slotted screws is to use a tough tight fitting bit.
There are purpose built manual impact drivers that when hit with a hammer can usually convince the most stubborn screw.
Try to find one of those.

This is an example http://www.amazon.ca/TEKTON-2905-8-...45386971&sr=8-2&keywords=manual+impact+driver

Thanks... Just placed a Amazon Prime order. Had one a long time ago.. not sure what happened to it.

Can't locate it now but I saw a video with a person making a new gib of a tapered type. It installed and removed parallel to the axis on which it was installed.

Is this such a gib, Marv?

Get the gib removed, cut you a piece of shim stock of appropriate thickness. Place behind the gib and re-install. Now you're are back in business! If the gib is found broken, which I doubt, you'll have to make a new one. I have made and repaired these type of gibs in the past.

Can't locate it now but I saw a video with a person making a new gib of a tapered type. It installed and removed parallel to the axis on which it was installed.

Is this such a gib, Marv?

I don't know. I've been watching some youtube videos on Gib's... so I have an idea of what I need to do. Looks like we are on the right track.

- there should be a screw or screws to move it in and out of the slide, it's tapered so it can only be removed one way and the screws can lock up the slide if it's adjusted too tight.
... you may even need to take out whatever's obstructing access to the thin end and use a very long, very thin drift to punch it towards the wider end of the space... .
Good luck ;)

I hope to get back on this tomorrow. Good tips & my thought's exactly. Note: There is no adjusting screw or any screw on the "thin" (front) end of the gib that I can find. Meanwhile it's been soaked with the solution almost daily.

Use a flat blade screwdriver. Tapping the screwdriver with a hammer while turning might help. Some of your ATF/acetone mix would be in order here.

Also there could be two screws here, the one you see right now, and maybe one behind it. The one you see may be a lock screw.

Finally... Got It... thanks to everyone.
Almost gave up with the impact screwdriver...end gib screw took 5 minutes to turn 1/2 turn then stuck again. Finally turned it back CW and played with it at different settings to try and free up the crossfeed carrage... no soap, so in playing with the screw discovered that the crossfeed table would move up/down as if being freed up... so poured on the mixture and played with the crossfeed wheel and after several minutes the table started to move ever so slightly then more & more until after 10 minutes we had the full movement. The end gib screw was still frozen but after playing with that again back & forth it freed up also and the gib started backing out and appears that it would screw out the whole gib if I turned it enough.

At this point... as I understand it, all I have to do is remove the nut from the hand wheel & the whole cross feed table can be pulled off the front... Correct?

P.S. indiscribable crud on the jib & slider surfaces... no wonder it was stuck.

At this point... as I understand it, all I have to do is remove the nut from the hand wheel & the whole cross feed table can be pulled off the front... Correct?

That's what I understand. Glad you got it loose!

Back