Stuck Lathe Carrage Cross Feed.

Silverbullet: I hear you... It's been 55 years for me, that's why I jumped at the chance to run these machines again, and the best part is I get to invent things and better ways to make the prototypes & parts. Once proven... the CNC machines take over. You (or anyone) don't happen to live in the greater Bremerton, Tacoma, Seattle area do you? Would love to have someone bring me back up to speed on this... and of course you could play with the big guy toys... er... tools.

RE; Lock: Take a look at image DSC_0704. The only lock lever I can find is bottom left of carriage by the handwheel (or bottom right of the handwheel if your in front of the machine). Yes, it acts like the table is locked.... or frozen fast (see below).

NOTE: I suspect that the previous operator never lubed/oiled the machine in the last 5 years. I'm beginning to suspect the lube cooling water was the only lubrication the machine got from the grime and sometimes red stuff that is now being flushed out from the 50/50 treatment. I say that because when I moved the Carriage 5 days before so I could change the chuck ... I noticed that the normal oil looking surfaces on the rails had dried up. When I finished moving it, I did nothing more than disingage the carriage feed.

Jib's: So where are the adjustments... I can't find any anywhere on this cross feed. If I could find them I could loosen this thing up.

I can see the gib sticking out of the back of the cross slide in the pic. In the front of the cross slide there should be a screw on the right hand side that fits into a slot in the gib. You need to remove this screw then the gib should come out the back. Then the screw attaching the cross slide nut, and the front bearing support screws, then the cross slide should just slide off towards the back.

Your Probally right the water coolant is disaster on steel when it dries and not relubed . Nope I'm in south jersey or hell I call it but now I'm to old and to screwed up to move, unless I win the lottery for a few million.

Maybe we are miss communicating here. Is the problem that that the carriage is locked?

I thought of that... Take a look at image DSC_0704. The only lock lever I can find is bottom left of carriage by the handwheel (or bottom right of the handwheel if your in front of the machine). Is there another lock some place?

I came out of retirement to help a buddy get his shop running. I finally made it to his #8 Warner & Swasey M-1200 lathe today. First, it's been badly neglected for lubercation... both carriages have dried up grim on them that I'm working on getting cleaned & lubed. The longitudinal carrage feeds ok fwd & rev under power, but movement by the hand wheel is very hard. The cross feed carriage hand wheel appears to be frozen or stuck (the carriage clamp is in the loose position). I did power feed it most of the way out... but that is it and will not move in or out now. When I engage the "engagement lever" with the "feed lever in rev... I get a slight grinding of the gears like they are trying to engage.

The Square Turret Indexing & Binder Handle also does not move. What"s the trick?

It's been awhile since I worked one of these... am I doing something wrong? How do I get the the cross feed carriage to move again?

If the turret post is stuck try with padding lite hits with dead blow hammer I'll bet it's rusted and the slide and carrage are the same. Some of the carriages on the lathes had a way lock on the back ways beside the front one. Try loosening the top carrage bolts then spray your lube cleaning mixture in all the casting splits or openings to get the lube in there not like you can pick it up and soak it in a pan. Just keep trying till it breaks free I'll bet it's just froze from gunk. Don't be afraid to loosen up the top half it won't fall apart but it will let stuff move about to get the lube in.

Jim: I have the manual and I'm on plate 21. I can see Dowel pin's, & a Stop plug... but don't see a way to access them with the cross feed sitting on top. I do see a 3E-603 Screw on the bottom far right that I don't see how that can help me... but I do not understand it's funtion.

Hummm... Maybe I'm missing something here... what good is all this if my table is locked or frozen in place. Is there a way to adj the jib to loosen it so I can get oil to all surfaces?

If the turret post is stuck try with padding lite hits with dead blow hammer I'll bet it's rusted and the slide and carrage are the same. Some of the carriages on the lathes had a way lock on the back ways beside the front one. Try loosening the top carrage bolts then spray your lube cleaning mixture in all the casting splits or openings to get the lube in there not like you can pick it up and soak it in a pan. Just keep trying till it breaks free I'll bet it's just froze from gunk. Don't be afraid to loosen up the top half it won't fall apart but it will let stuff move about to get the lube in.

What Top Carriage bolts are you talking about? The "Square Turret Post" or the "Crossfeed"? If Crossfeed... I don't see any bolts. If Square Turret Post... that was my next project. Can I just remove it from the top Crossfeed by the bottom bolts? The bottom where it attached to the crossfeed was really packed with metal shavings... so packed I barely could get most of the shavings out.

This isn't for your lathe model but should help. It shows the location of the gibes for the saddle and cross slide.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3761

As an artist-designer (BFA Industrial Design) I am always amazed & appreciative of the illustrations from the earlier days. Those people did everything with slip sticks & classic inking drafting instruments.
Well, maybe templates & Rapideograph pens as I used. Beats the he!! out of the offshore diagrams.

It took a while but I was able to find references to gibs in the exploded views.

Back