Stuck Lathe Carrage Cross Feed.

I was just looking at the pictures of the back of the cross slide, think you need to ck the bed ways ,,,, to the left square and rounded over. On the right side looks gouged out and sharp on top edge. Might have to pull felts and covers , from looking it just don't look right. Hope it's ok

This help?

CU - -0707.jpg

Get a steel wire brush across /on the back end of the gib area , I think I detect a grub screw at top right hand edge of the gib plate it is in the red ring .

There are similar end gib screws on the tail stock of my ancient lathe

gib%20screw_zpsrpqqohrr.png .

gib%20screw_zpsrpqqohrr.png

gib%20screw_zpsrpqqohrr.png

Found it.
Which way to loosen the jib, or remove the screw? HOW MUCH PRESSURE do I us the turn the screw (It's very tight).
I assume I have to use a flat blade screwdriver... or is there a special tool that locks on to the bolt head?
Screw-0710.jpg

Use a flat blade screwdriver. Tapping the screwdriver with a hammer while turning might help. Some of your ATF/acetone mix would be in order here.

Also there could be two screws here, the one you see right now, and maybe one behind it. The one you see may be a lock screw.

Thanks Jim.
I plan to carefully use my Milwaukee Hammer drill & start at the lowest drive setting. I do-not want to use too much force & break something. The Hammer setting is normally great for unsticking things.

Interesting that the 1st screw (?) has a bolt head & that one edge is almost against the gib which prevents my from using a socket on it.

The picture is just blurry enough that I can't really see any detail. I would guess it's a right hand thread, and I think the gib comes out the back.

That was my guess too. I plan to try Counter clockwise first.
Sorry about the Blurry photo... I got too close.

Last edited:
Marv,
Quite certain it is right hand thread. One caution about impact driving slotted screws is to use a tough tight fitting bit.
There are purpose built impact drivers that when hit with a hammer can usually convince the most stubborn screw.
Try to find one of those.

:+1: a very handy tool. I've had one since my motorcycle mechanic days. That goes back a few years.;)

Back