Stray pig

I'd hate to ask how ya feel about humans! Lol. Many thousands more have been attacked and killed by other humans since 2019. And talk about destructive! Remember that exxon valdez?!
??? They are not humans, they are pigs. I have never seen a born in the wild pig that wasn't aggressive and tore things up. As in 100 percent of them. Its in the pigs nature.

On the other hand there is a very small percentage of humans that do so. Not that I deny that it happens. But if its in humans nature just to tear things up our "civilization" and its upbringing teaches that out of them. Although I think we have passed the peak and are heading on a downward slide.

But yea, if someone threatens me or my family, they will end up the same as the 4 legged varmints. I did my part serving in the Marine Corps in Iraq in 2003.

Last edited:
This one appears to be male, havent gotten too close though so not positive.

Research indicates that prostate cancer metastasis is facilitated by fat in the diet/bloodstream. I’m still undergoing long term treatment from stage 3b cancer, i.e., multiple positive lymph nodes on surgery which was followed by radiation and chemo/hormone treatment. For this reason pork is not something I still eat. Otherwise I would consider butchering it myself at current weight.

@rabler,

It is certainly not fair that you are getting other people's problems dumped on you.
Too bad some people have not matured enough to take some responsibility.

I had a friend that advised the following plan for repeat nuisance animals; shoot, shovel and shut-up.
Do as you see fit.

Brian

@rabler,

It is certainly not fair that you are getting other people's problems dumped on you.
Too bad some people have not matured enough to take some responsibility.

I had a friend that advised the following plan for repeat nuisance animals; shoot, shovel and shut-up.
Do as you see fit.

Brian
Based on text with my neighbor, it has been 2 weeks as of this morning since the pig first appeared. I checked my cellphone, didn't realize it had been that long. The problem has been resolved. Until the next idiot dumps something. I blame the people, not the animals.

Last edited:
We had a feral pig problem about eight years ago. They had always been here but for some reason the population exploded and they were damaging lawns as well as the wetlands on our property. I hired a trapper but we managed to only trap raccoons. After that it was time for firearms. There was a mom with six piglets and no male that were resident in our wetlands.

One day I heard them heading through the wetlands toward our driveway and I decided to 'meet' them when they emerged at near the driveway. I got serveral shots at mom as she charged me but she turned and headed back into the wetlands as I scored more hits. She got about 50 yards before collapsing motionless in a clear area of the wetland. The piglets gathered around her and I was very tempted to pick them off but I reasoned that they would make good prey for the bobcats and coyotes so I didn't shoot them. Some months later it became clear that three of them had survived and were doing just fine. I guess I'd have made a different choice if I had known we didn't have enough predators here.

After a couple of days the vultures had the carcass pretty well handled.

Last edited:
It's not only people that will dump animals in rural areas. We had a government organization plant red fox at the farm. They are protected so they aren't supposed to be shot. It wasn't long until all the chickens were gone and five or six peacock were missing. They even had the nerve to place a trail cam baited with chicken on private property , with a sign not to disturb it. No one would take responsibility for this.

It's not only people that will dump animals in rural areas. We had a government organization plant red fox at the farm. They are protected so they aren't supposed to be shot. It wasn't long until all the chickens were gone and five or six peacock were missing. They even had the nerve to place a trail cam baited with chicken on private property , with a sign not to disturb it. No one would take responsibility for this.
Yep, that would get me more than a little irritated. I guess if no one takes responsibility then they would not miss their camera either.

We have plenty of fox, which I don’t mind. Even more coyotes, which my understanding is that in Indiana can be shot on your own land at any time without a permit.

Last edited:
Back