Stray pig

I would feed it until butcher weight and if not claimed by then,I would enjoy the pork chops.
Unless caught and penned, the things are too destructive to keep around. My neighbor had much less favorable words …

My friend is a wildlife biologist. He says they don’t belong here, shoot them and leave for other critters to eat.

I’m suspicious that we’re getting animals dumped on us by people who no longer want to take care of them
I'd say you're right. I'll ask someone if they want to go collect it. Gimme a day to ask. Lol.

I'm going to give it through the weekend in case someone with a day job comes looking then.

Loose pigs should be shot on sight. They are so destructive and revert back into wild pigs in just 2 or 3 generations. Wild pigs are mean and kill people. A woman was killed in 2019 in texas when a wild pig attacked her as she walked to front door of the house she was caretaker in.

I would feed it until butcher weight and if not claimed by then,I would enjoy the pork chops.
The only caveat is that you should make sure it isn't a boar. I made that mistake once, never again. It put me right off pork.

The only caveat is that you should make sure it isn't a boar. I made that mistake once, never again. It put me right off pork.
RJ,
Would you please explain your comment.
I don’t know much about this subject But I do find it very interesting.
I have watched some videos on the baiting, trapping and shooting of wild pigs in Texas and Georgia.
Nasty animals. Fast too.

RJ,
Would you please explain your comment.
I don’t know much about this subject But I do find it very interesting.
I have watched some videos on the baiting, trapping and shooting of wild pigs in Texas and Georgia.
Nasty animals. Fast too.
Uncastrated pigs have a distinctive flavor about them. At 150 -200 lbs, they may have not matured to that point yet. Our hog was around 350 lbs. The same holds for uncastrated sheep and goats.

I've watched some of the videos of shooting feral hogs down south. I've also read accounts of hunting feral hogs in Texas with a javelin. That's truely a one on one sport where there is a fifty-fifty chance the hog will win.

So this is stray pet pig #3. They keep getting bigger with each new intruder. How long am I obliged to wait before shooting it? I try to ask myself how I tolerant I would want someone to be if our horses got loose.

Pig #1 was around 15 years ago in Georgia. Maybe 20lbs. I rescued it from the mare paddock before it got trampled to death. In gratitude it made a wallow in our driveway. After a week I headed out of the house, 1911 in hand, to shoot it. A distant neighbor showed up moments before I reached the pig, looking for his kid’s pet. Glad that worked out.

Pig #2 was last summer. Maybe 35-40 lbs. After a week it started discovering the horse feed and eating it out of the buckets before my wife could pass them out to the horses. Animal services was not helpful. Ended up shooting it.

This one is 50-60 lbs. Obviously use to being around people. Not intimidated by our help’s pit bull mix. It has been showing up frequently in the last week. Initially one of the mares worked it over but they’ve become complacent, although the stallions feel otherwise.

I’m suspicious that we’re getting animals dumped on us by people who no longer want to take care of them. We’ve been trying to keep up with the stray cat population, getting them fixed. It gets expensive. I have yet to resort to castrating the males myself as a former farm vet trained me in that skill.

It just bugs me to deal with other people’s rejects.

Thanks for listening to my grumbling.
I had a wife like that once.

Loose pigs should be shot on sight. They are so destructive and revert back into wild pigs in just 2 or 3 generations. Wild pigs are mean and kill people. A woman was killed in 2019 in texas when a wild pig attacked her as she walked to front door of the house she was caretaker in.
I'd hate to ask how ya feel about humans! Lol. Many thousands more have been attacked and killed by other humans since 2019. And talk about destructive! Remember that exxon valdez?!

Back