Storing Machines Outside

I would be careful using anything with "fish oil" other than for cholesterol therapy.

Fish oil has acids in it that may cause harm to metal surfaces.

Stick with machine oils previously mentioned as well as using petroleum jelly that was mentioned.

Fish oil contains "fatty acids" (as do all animal and vegetable fats and oils) but they are not acids in the way you think of them. They do not dissolve in water and will not corrode metal.

Fish oil contains "fatty acids" (as do all animal and vegetable fats and oils) but they are not acids in the way you think of them. They do not dissolve in water and will not corrode metal.
Yup! Biologically sourced oils are generally "esters" - chemical combinations of fatty acids with a glycerine (a carbon chain with three -OH groups). These esters are very stable. It takes boiling with lye (a strong base) to make soap (sodium salts of the fatty acids, plus free glycerine as a byproduct) or strong heating with mineral (strong) acids to decompose them. There's no danger of this happening under "shirtsleeve" conditions.

About the only negative consequence of using natural oils is the tendency of unsaturated (generally vegetable) oils to polymerize and harden when exposed to air (and light). This is from a chemical reaction between oxygen and the "unsaturated" parts of the fatty acids. Linseed oil is the classic example. Its hardening was what "set" oil paints and glazing putty. Some other animal/vegetable oils will also get rancid, in much the same way.

Sorry if the chemistry lecture is off topic, but I useta was one!

Last edited:
Ok no matter what you use you run the risk of rust , oil it Vaseline it , waste oil it . It don't matter but I wouldn't ever use wd40 for rust prevention . I once coated some gun barrels in a safe indoors and within six months they had rust on them . In the house no less . Never use except to lube taps or drills , yupp never on metal as prevention

Back