Storing Machines Outside

I would go to HF store and but a cheap car port , I think they are about $100 , plus I'd grease it well and drap tarp over it . But let some air get in the metal must sweat but the grease will save from rusting.

Make a building around it.

Use a couple of pallets for flooring, some 8' 2x4s. and 4x8 plywood for the sides and top. Assemble it with screws so you can save the wood for other uses later.

A +1 on the rental storage idea and another +1 on it will sweat, especially if tarped and in the sun. After thinking about it and the thought of putting some kind of surface protective coating on it (and you will never get all the bear metal surfaces coated, especially within the machine). And then you will need a tarp. I think it would be easier to put it in a rental storage locker, as said…Dave

Thanks everyone for weighing in, so many responses, each with a different approach and all good ideas....
I am going to try to limit the outdoor time to a week or two. Hopefully, the weather will be dry but I will prepare for the worst.
The machine is already on a skid, and it'll be placed on a concrete pad. I will coat bare iron with either a store bought or homemade rust preventative, drape the machine with a canvas tarp then with a plastic tarp and secure them to the skid. That should allow enough air circulation and keep the rain off it.
Also, I will need to remove the table and Z axis servo motor in order to get it in the basement, so those items will be brought inside right away.
I do agree the best thing would be to put it on a trailer in a storage locker, but I don't have a trailer or a vehicle to tow it.

vaseline dissolved in light oil (petrol or diesel) sprayed on, petrol will evaporate leaving a thin,water repellant, layer of vaseline
+1

Or dissolve axle grease instead for a heavier coating. Brush on, roll on, or spray, your choice.

Don't use wheel bearing or axle grease. I've done that, and it leaves a mess that stains the bare metal to no end! If you insist on using grease, choose a grease like Lubriplate brand any grade they have. At lease it will repell water and will not dry out as bad as axle grease will long term. Also will not stain bare metal as axle grease will. Just good old ISO46 hydraulic oil works too. Just have to reapply often. Just use a 2-3 wide paint brush and brush it on. Marvel Mistry Oil works too. What we used to use in cylinders of industrial engines for long term storage.

Don't use wheel bearing or axle grease. I've done that, and it leaves a mess that stains the bare metal to no end!

Thanks, I really want to avoid a messy cleanup. I tried mixing some WD-40 with petroleum jelly and put it on a test piece of steel, I left part of it bare and sprayed it with some salt water. I think it might work well, we'll see...

There is a youtube video where a guy tested a bunch of metal samples outdoors with quite a few different protectants maybe you could locate that.

Back