Storing Machines Outside

Eddyde

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just bought a mill and will need to store it outside for a few weeks, while I prep the shop and figure how to get it down the stairs. I figure on spraying it with W-D40 and covering it with a polyethylene tarp. Does anyone have any experience doing this, any better ideas?
Thanks, Ed

Ed i think that WD will evaporate pretty quickly. I think I would use Vectra 4 or a non detergent motor oil in copious amounts. I would also put it on a pallet or blocks to keep it off the ground and allow for air circulation so you don't get condensation build up.

A heavy layer of paste wax on all surfaces would be my choice. Won't hurt precision surfaces, can be cleaned up with solvent, and you can buff your new machine paint to a high shine afterwards :) Obviously don't use it on screws, gears etc.

Keeping water out is the most important, I would use that cling wrap on a roll first, then a tarp. Possibly one of those desiccant containers used for basements tucked in the machine before you wrap it. You can get them at hardware stores

theres a product called corrosion x, sold in spray can or hand pump spray( spray can works better) it is made for this application and is good on electrical connections as well, amazon and many places sell it...google it and see how it works, I use it alot and it also dissolves rust even if there is some already there..amazing stuff...

McMaster-Carr sells a spray that's for storing dies, kinda like Cosmoline. Sprays on and forms a waxy coat. I spray my lathe and mill both with it every winter because they live in an unheated garage.

I'd put it on a trailer and park that in a rental storage area. Anything to get it out of the weather and drastic temp changes.

A tub of wheel-bearing grease would probably work if slathered on to the exposed surfaces, if it's only for a few weeks (and would be a lot easier to remove than other solutions like paste-wax)

Thanks everyone for all the excellent advice so far.

Condensation will get up UNDER a tarp. Cars have been damaged by being covered by car covers. I wouldn't use anything less than a heavy grease if I were you. Even then,it will be nearly impossible to get at all the parts,like those behind the carriage.

I had my lathe on a trailer in my yard for a few months and my press on wood blocks for a few months also (different times) to prepare space in the shop I used PB blaster and covered them with tarps and plastic sheets ....they survived with no damage whatsoever ....I would check them every week or so and re-apply they both were a bit greasy when purchased and that surely helped too....if they are not greasy to begin with I would spray them down with clean motor oil...HTH's

Back