Storage for screw-machine (stubby) drills

Most likely made by Metro Cabinets . I spotted them out while in the hospital . Very nice and also have built in number locks . I inquired about them while there . :big grin:

A really lousy picture but cropped out of a much larger one. You get the idea. The back is identical to the front. If all the drawer units which come out in frames of 12 were present there would be 96 drawers about 11" long, with dovetailed partition settings every 1/2". They are about 4" wide and almost 2" deep on this. (I remembered wrong on how many in each frame). They all lock in place when the frame is seated shut. Very high quality ball bearing 4" casters that lock. I just got lucky.

DanK
ToolBoxesCropped.JPG

I have a minor obsession with stub drills. When this popped up on CL for $150, I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.

View attachment 395851
me too. I like the fact that they don't require a big change in table height from a tap, and also that they just drill straighter due to their short length.. what I can't understand is why they cost so much more than jobbers.

Thanks. The empty indexes at McMaster are just what I was looking for and their costs are reasonable.

I agree, short length bits are great. They fit my small machines better than jobber drills, and they drill relatively straight. The factory sharpened ones from McMaster drill accurate holes. They make good spotting drills too. Of course, after I sharpen them for the first time they are never as good.

As much as I lust after "stub" drills, I haven't been able to justify any, . . . yet. For storage, I would use a "normal" drill index and put small pieces of wood below each rack. Wood or metal, hot glued in place, they would be a little top heavy when open, but OK when closed.

I have 2 inch and a letter sitting here that need a home

I have one of these in a fractional set and don't use it . It's not a Vevor but the other company . Still too little for my needs .

Back