Storage for screw-machine (stubby) drills

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
How do you all store your short length drills? I have accumulated a bunch, which I purchased several at a time from McMaster. I have them in a tool box drawer and I have to fumble through them for the size I need. I'd like to get an empty index but indexes for short-length drills are almost non-existent.

Drill holes in an alumnium block and mark the holes .

Thanks. Do you keep the block in a case of some kind so that they don't fall out? Or do you always keep the block upright?

I keep everything ( well , almost everything ) upright . :) I had to give up on trying to keep drills in indexes about 30 years ago as they multiplied at night . Really anything that would hold them is fine . I have nylon holders for end mills and other things made up but outgrew them also . These days , everything gets thrown into the appropriate container until I can't lift it , then another container is started . :(

Here's an end mill holder for 1/4" , 3/8" and 1/2" shanks . You can always make something similar to hold drills .

Attachments

• IMG_8992.JPG
    IMG_8992.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 38
How do you all store your short length drills? I have accumulated a bunch, which I purchased several at a time from McMaster. I have them in a tool box drawer and I have to fumble through them for the size I need. I'd like to get an empty index but indexes for short-length drills are almost non-existent.
Huot makes short drill indexes. Bought one a while back. Bought a few drills at a time. Now the box is almost complete. Sure isn't the cheapest way to do it, but it does stretch out the outlay. McMaster has short drill indexes, number, fractional, letter, and full monte. I'm sure there are other places to get them. Wish there was a sensible way to store the odd ball metric drills I've collected. Best I can think of is drilling out holes in a block.

I bought a set of screw machine drills and they came packed in a Huot box.

If you have any buddies that work in hospital maintenance dept you can buy them donuts and they will likely steer old medicine carts your way. They are very expensive for them to buy, get outdated quickly, and are expensive to get rid of. I have two medicine carts that have 120 drawers each and the drawers are subdivided with partitions. Mine are just the right length for drills and taps. These carts cost the facility $4000 apiece and I was given them with their blessing for taking them off their dock.

DanK

Huot makes short drill indexes. Bought one a while back. Bought a few drills at a time. Now the box is almost complete. Sure isn't the cheapest way to do it, but it does stretch out the outlay. McMaster has short drill indexes, number, fractional, letter, and full monte. I'm sure there are other places to get them. Wish there was a sensible way to store the odd ball metric drills I've collected. Best I can think of is drilling out holes in a block.
I have one from Huot, that I got with the stubbies (used)

If you have any buddies that work in hospital maintenance dept you can buy them donuts and they will likely steer old medicine carts your way. They are very expensive for them to buy, get outdated quickly, and are expensive to get rid of. I have two medicine carts that have 120 drawers each and the drawers are subdivided with partitions. Mine are just the right length for drills and taps. These carts cost the facility $4000 apiece and I was given them with their blessing for taking them off their dock.

DanK
Hey Dan, pics??

Back