Step drills, what brand?

Are you talking about a brad point bit?
View attachment 232200
That's the baby I've always known it a as sheet metal drill, I had quite a collection some years ago whenever a drill bit was getting too short I would turn it into a sheet metal bit and after a while you've got a whole set.

Are you talking about a brad point bit?
It certainly sounds like Bob is talking about Brad point bits .
Bob, thanks for your help, I do have 4 sets of these brad point bits and only use them for my woodworking projects,woodworking is also another hobby of mine and has been for the last 1o years or so ,I never used my brad point bits in anything but wood , I should say I wouldn't dare using them on metal because they were expensive but I might modify an old bit to see how it performs on 20ga. metal.thanks for the suggestion.

Klein Tools - Unibit, for the quality. Edit: second choice, Harbor Freight, for the price.
Just picked up a pair at HF yesterday for $20. Looking forward to trying them out. I've seen them for years, but never got around to picking one up. Thanks for the enabling, gents!;)

Yup, rotabroaches are the best hole cutters I've tried in awhile. You're right - they hold an edge like no hole saw I've ever used and they cut clean holes! I have sets that cover 1/4-3/4" in 16ths and 7/8 to 1-1/2" in 8ths. My step drills now sit in a drawer but I will buy another Unibit if mines dies.
Ok, now you're taking enabling too far! I just looked up Hougen rotabroaches:drool:

When do you use a rotabroach vs. a drill bit?

I have had a cheap one that I bought 10 or 15 years ago, I didn't use it that often until last week when I needed to drill different size holes on a small sheet of( 20Ga) Mild steel,the step drill worked really well.

I'd like to to buy a decent size one like 1/4" to 1.1/4" for the shop for those rare occasions when nothing else works as fast or as cleanly as a well made ,good quality step drill.

Now Viking seems to be well made but (@ $140(set of 3) it is way too expensive for my hobby /occasional use.

what manufacturer comes to your mind when you shop for step drills?

There is a company here in downunder, called Jaycar that has step drills, two sizes, 4 -12 mm $14.95. and 12- 20 mm 24.95 postage to USA might be a bit high. I have had mine for at least 15 years, used many times even in steel never had to resharpen. just keep the speed down they do a great job, especially in sheet metal, but I have also used them in solid steel. they claim to be HSS.

Ok, now you're taking enabling too far! I just looked up Hougen rotabroaches:drool:

When do you use a rotabroach vs. a drill bit?

I normally use them when I need a bigger hole in steel. Once I get close to a 1/2" drill size I know the cutting forces are going to get pretty high so I switch to a rotabroach. I also use them when the work piece is large and unwieldly so that clamping it to the drill press table is a hassle. There are times when the work cannot be drilled on the press or mill, like a hole in a car frame or whatever. The rotabroaches work just fine in a hand held drill but lubrication makes a big difference in cutting speed and the results - faster and cleaner.

If you have ever had to use a hole saw to cut something in metal then you know what a hassle that is and what the results are. I used to dread cutting/drilling a large hole in steel but not anymore. If you have ever used a Silver and Deming drill bit in a drill press or hand held drill to cut a big hole then you know how long it takes to work up to your final hole size and the risk you take with your hands and wrists when they catch. No more step-drilling with rotabroaches - just go to your final size and drill it quick.

I could go on and on. These tools are not a panacea for a drilling issues. There are times when a drill is better, like when fit is important or when clearance issues prevent getting a rotabroach in place but for the most part, they are better for drilling thicker materials and they don't leave a big burr for you to clean up. Give them a try.

Bobshobby,Thanks for the info,I already got my Klein step drill and was quite impressed with how it cut through 18Ga. mild steel, the only question remaining is will it stay sharp after a few cuts, I have feeling it will.
71dndUBEihL._SL1500_.jpg

Hougen makes a nice looking step drill in 3 size ranges. The annular cutter looks like it makes a clean hole, which is why I want to buy a few.
They get pricey over 1" though. I just may start with the 3/4".

I normally use them when I need a bigger hole in steel. Once I get close to a 1/2" drill size I know the cutting forces are going to get pretty high so I switch to a rotabroach. I also use them when the work piece is large and unwieldly so that clamping it to the drill press table is a hassle. There are times when the work cannot be drilled on the press or mill, like a hole in a car frame or whatever. The rotabroaches work just fine in a hand held drill but lubrication makes a big difference in cutting speed and the results - faster and cleaner.

If you have ever had to use a hole saw to cut something in metal then you know what a hassle that is and what the results are. I used to dread cutting/drilling a large hole in steel but not anymore. If you have ever used a Silver and Deming drill bit in a drill press or hand held drill to cut a big hole then you know how long it takes to work up to your final hole size and the risk you take with your hands and wrists when they catch. No more step-drilling with rotabroaches - just go to your final size and drill it quick.

I could go on and on. These tools are not a panacea for a drilling issues. There are times when a drill is better, like when fit is important or when clearance issues prevent getting a rotabroach in place but for the most part, they are better for drilling thicker materials and they don't leave a big burr for you to clean up. Give them a try.
What are the Hougen rotabroaches made of? Do they need sharpening, and if so, how often and how do you sharpen them?

Back