Step drills, what brand?

The link you posted Bob didn't work but I know the set you're talking about,I see them all the time on Amazon/ebay, most likely are made by the same manufacturer, the unibit I found here is over a $100 for one, Klein is $86, 3 x more than what you'll find in the US. so for now the less expensive set will do.
Thank you all for your replies, I'll check home Depot here ,they do sell Milwaukee .

Last edited:
I always think of Irwin when I hear Unibit. Looked it up, looks like they trademarked the name in the 70s. I've had 1 Iwrin Unibit for I don't know how long. It still works but has seen it's days.

I also have a set of HF step drills. I have only used them on alumn, brass, & plastics but they have been working just fine for me. I would buy them again.

I saw another style step drill bit that I wanted to try but I forget who makes it. Instead of just one stright flute it had like spiral flutes or indexed notches. Anyone know who makes them or has tried them?

I have several Harbor freight sets. That have exceeded all my expectations. I'm currently working on converting an old 2wd Dodge truck to 4x4. It involves drilling about 75 rivets, and drilling 100 or so 1/2 holes in the frame. They work better then a conventional drill in thick metal. I think they work so well, because you have 2 or 3 steps cutting a tiny bit at a time, then when the step is through, its cutting edge is no longer working, and can cool down, while the next step starts to make the hole its tad larger. I have taken a honing stone to them a few times, not so much as they needed it, but habit from older drills, and the stone is in my tool box.

I do start with a small 1/8 inch or so drill first, the step drill is not the best in starting in thick metal.

I bought the original Unibits years and years ago - still sharp, still works well. I'm not sure who made them originally but Irwin makes them nowadays. Have not tried the Klein. I bought two Lenox bits and they dulled almost immediately - what a disappointment.

Dull Lenox bits led me to buy some Hougen Rotabroaches - now I'm a happy boy!
Mike, you just saved me a lot of headache and money, I was looking at step drills again this morning and found my local Fastenal carries Lenox (they are not cheap,$211) but I remembered I read some not so flattering comment about them somewhere so I checked my this thread and sure enough it was you who mentioned them getting dull"almost immediately"! ,thanks for that.

You mentioned Rotabroach, I have a Blair Rotabroach set , a set comes with 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" what a great buy that has been, the bits seem to never dull.

Mike, you just saved me a lot of headache and money, I was looking at step drills again this morning and found my local Fastenal carries Lenox (they are not cheap,$211) but I remembered I read some not so flattering comment about them somewhere so I checked my this thread and sure enough it was you who mentioned them getting dull"almost immediately"! ,thanks for that.

You mentioned Rotabroach, I have a Blair Rotabroach set , a set comes with 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" what a great buy that has been, the bits seem to never dull.

Yup, rotabroaches are the best hole cutters I've tried in awhile. You're right - they hold an edge like no hole saw I've ever used and they cut clean holes! I have sets that cover 1/4-3/4" in 16ths and 7/8 to 1-1/2" in 8ths. My step drills now sit in a drawer but I will buy another Unibit if mines dies.

Ken, Mikey, I have two sets of Rotabroach also, and they have become my go to hole cutters. Like you, the Unibits sit in the drawer. Mike

I think perhaps comparing step drills and Rotabroaches is a bit like apples and oranges. The step drill will work in a hand held drill under a car in a tight area. A Rotabroach needs to be run in a mag drill, a milling machine, or some other way to keep it contained radially until the hole is well started, and really for the entire cut. Also, step drills are really meant for work no thicker than the steps and Rotabroaches can be used to the depth of the central hole. Correct me if I am wrong, I have not actually used Rotabraches. The obvious answer is to have both! ;)

Bob, you are right on, I bought the Blair rotabroach set for a project that required drilling holes in 1/4" mild steel and it worked well with both my drill press and my mini mill.
I never owned a mag drill to use with annular cutters but I suppose they both (mag drill/milling machine) achieve the same thing, the step drill I 'm after is to be used on thin gauge mild steel no thicker than 14ga.
BTW, I just ordered a Klein step drill,

Last edited:
Back