Starting completely from scratch -literally- In what order should I make my tools?

I get that and no worries!

Im going to put feelers out there but I think for me half the fun will be building the tools themselves.

So, the answer to your question is still a lathe.

Do ask around to see if you can get any pieces that will help you along the way for free, it's probably possible to turn an old drill press casting into a lathe headstock. Epoxy granite is definitely an option but getting it right is challenging from the research I've done. It's probably more likely to take an old cast iron wood lathe bed and convert that to a metal lathe. The problem with the Gingery tools from what I can tell is casting everything in aluminum doesn't give the strength and rigidity of iron.

If you want to go high tech look into linear rails and ballscrews, that's the path I took. Deals can be had on eBay and using 80/20 extrusions gives a good amount of flexibility. You might even be able to find something similar as part of discarded office furniture, cube office walls have a surprising amount of metal in them.

I'm sure your local classifieds has a "free" section so check that every morning and pick up anything you think will be useful. If you can fix stuff and sell it for a profit that's money that can go into your projects. People are always discarding treadmills and other exercise equipment and that's a great source of not only motors but structural elements too. Any metal you don't end up using can also be recycled for extra cash.

Finally I would reach out to some of the other forum members who live on your island. They might be willing to help you with your projects if they have machining capability you don't have. If nothing else you can discuss your latest projects over a cup of tea....

Cheers,

John

You might want to post in the Wanted section of the local CL (or an equivalent). Say you're looking for broken machinery (lathe, drill press, etc) that you will repair and use yourself. If you live in a rural enough area, you could also spread the word around and see what happens - never know when a real estate agent will spot a pile of rusted metal in the corner, and call you to come take it away.

If you are starting small, and doing a lot of bench work, I would recommend a good set of files. Clickspring has a great Youtube video. It would help to have a forge. It would help even more to have a hammer and an anvil. But, if you are starting from scratch, you definitely need to consider files.

How many years do you have?

@G Jones I’ll keep my eyes open for you also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G, Check out this lathe:
Small Lathe Built Secretly in a Japanese Prison Camp - 1949
renderTimingPixel.png

imgur.com/a/mULb...

I have a small Taig lathe, work about 4" diameter, at most 6 inches long, compete with milling attachments. It's yours for freight. I'm in Ohio, will be meeting later this week with a good friend from Ontario. I can have him ship it to you, If you will pay his cost to ship. I'll box it, weight is maybe 10 lbs.

This lathe has a collet chuck, I don't know if any other chucks can be adapted or not. There are some collets with it, more can be purchased, but max size is probably 1/4 to 5/16 inch. It has only one speed, (110 volt)

In all honesty, it was once a Taig lathe, the motor is not original, but the body of the lathe and the milling attachments are all standard. I see (online) that Taig does offer a 3 jaw chuck, don't know enough to say if this lathe can adapt one or not.

Let me know by Friday night if you will accept this offer.

Tom Bredehoft
seventy four zero seven hundred forty five, ten fourteen

DSC00668[1].JPG

Last edited:
Wow, Tom. That is so generous of you!! Your gesture is what makes this place so special.

G, if you decide to accept Tom's amazing offer, let me know. I will grind a 1/4" general purpose turning tool, a knife tool and threading tool for you. Just need your address.

Last edited:
If you were closer, I just gave a home made lathe to my nephew for a bar ornament, Wasn't much to look at but would be a start.
Tom, Im going west early next summer, plan to go to Victoria, if your Ontario friend is close I can haul it out.

Greg

Back