Starting completely from scratch -literally- In what order should I make my tools?

Flyinfool, T Bredehoft, I think you guys both have some great points. I think my first few steps are to decide which tools I can't reasonably expect to make myself, and start slowly collecting the materials for the ones I can.

Fortunately I also blow glass (lampworking) as a hobby, so I have access to some large torches and very high heat electric kilns (1700c) so I can temper basic steel tools with some ease.

As far as things I'm not willing to put in the effort, or am simply incapable of making, so far I've come up with;

A surface plate
NIST cert gauge blocks
Sharpening/honing stones

Anything else you can think of would be appreciated. Chisels, files, scrapers, rulers, hammers, etc, I can make all that.

I'll also need to ponder some simple work holding solutions.

Look for busted machines in your area. You may be able to piece some stuff together by finding "machines that no longer work" and putting 2 together or as you have already said, using a treadmill motor to power it. Local to me there have been a couple of mini lathes for cheap that had bad motor control boards. Otherwise they looked in decent shape.

It is easier to use a lathe to make a lathe or any other tool than to make a lathe without one.
MontanaLon - This is a great idea, but honestly its beyond my budget. I can literally expect to have 100 a month to spare beyond my basic rent and food bills. The disability check I receive barely covers my essentials. Fortunately there is a Makers Space in town, and I do expect to make good use of what they have there.

Victoria isn't exactly a tech or industry city so used machines seem to be rare and far outside my budget. (used lathes for 600-1000 that look sketchy arent really what im into)

When it finally comes to making machines, I plan to build with scrap metal and cast granite. Before my injury I worked in very high end cast concrete so I'll be completely at home making complicated molds.

Victoria isn't exactly a tech or industry city so used machines seem to be rare and far outside my budget. (used lathes for 600-1000 that look sketchy arent really what im into)

Lots of people buy small metal working machines, use them a bit then decide it isn't the hobby for them. Used are often 50% or less of the new price depending on how much they want them gone, $200-300 for a working 7x14 mini lathe is not unheard of. Trades are sometimes accepted so if you make nice things you might think about that option.

A small hand or foot powered lathe isn't crazy, that is where lathes began.

I'll second the suggestion of Gingery books, they are fairly cheap most about $8-10, a few $15-20. Even if you don't want to build things as he shows them, the ideas and concepts are very useful and much can easily be translated into your own designs.

"Lots of people buy small metal working machines, use them a bit then decide it isn't the hobby for them. Used are often 50% or less of the new price depending on how much they want them gone, $200-300 for a working 7x14 mini lathe is not unheard of. Trades are sometimes accepted so if you make nice things you might think about that option."

Different Worlds! I want to make something about twice the size of a watchmakers lathe, The closest thing I've ever even SEEN is a unimat, and they were asking around 1000$ There is on UsedVictoria a Myford Ml-7 right now for around 3000$

My best bet, honestly, I think, is to invest, where I can into accurate reference tools and build my way up. I don't have facilities to cast aluminum, so I'll make larger machine parts from epoxy granite and scrapyard metals

EDIT: the gingery books are incredible and I've gotten some great ideas for a shaper there. The other thing thats been very helpful is looking up early machine tools
(pre 1900) Those machines are incredibly elegant, and tackle some of the same issues I'll be facing, without resorting to a few thousand pounds of cast iron :D

Last edited:
So my first question is this- if you had to build a machine shop from scratch on a desert island, with only a surface plate and gauges to reference, how would you start?

You would be surprised at how much can be done with a hacksaw, files and an idea. However, if I had to choose a single machine to begin a shop with, it would be a metal lathe. I suggest you speak to everyone you know and tell them you need a lathe but cannot afford to buy it. You can even put an ad up on Kijii explaining your situation and asking for a free lathe. There may be some guy who has one sitting in a corner that he doesn't use and he may just give it to you. Granted, its a long shot but there are a LOT of used machines out there that are just sitting.

Thanks for the idea Mikey; I'll definitely do that, unfortunately Victoria just isn't the sort of place that has a history of industry. I"m going to do my best, but my other constraint is SIZE. I'm working on a big desk in my bachelor suite apartment, so much more than a sherline or a taig is going to be too much.

I'm mostly going to be working in aluminum and brass, making small gadgets, trinkets, etc.

Yeah, I was thinking a Sherline or Taig would fit the bill.

I just found a nearly brand new Sherline lathe and mill that was sitting on someone's patio for who knows how long. They were rusted and neglected. I had to pay to buy them ($600) but this was for an essentially new set of machines and accessories that retailed for about $2500. There may be something similar sitting in somebody's closet that is just waiting for you but if you don't ask then you won't get. I'll cross my fingers for you, buddy, and welcome to HM!

ANOTHER QUESTION!!! ;)

What is a good, simple program for 2d blueprints and eventually 3d modelling? I've taken classes in drafting, and can do just about anything with pen and papers, but there are some convenciences with CAD that are hard to miss. To give you an idea of things, when I took classes we learned in VectorWorks,, which was, even at the time, fairly out of date.

I really don't want to be complaining about my situation mikey, but just to give you a picture.

I make 1180 a months as my government disability check.
900 goes to rent and bills right away.
200 goes to food.
I then have 80 dollars for my entire months spending, including unforseen ****.

A 600 sherline would require that I save every single dollar for around a year.

Or I could get a 50$ bucket of 2 part epoxy, and 10-20$ in scrap aluminum.
Hell I could probably get the scrap free.

My greatest weapon in this experiment is free time.

Soon I'll be living in low income housing and things will be much more feasible.
Unfortunately rent and food in Victoria is horrifically over priced.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing but I was in no way suggesting that you spend what little income you have on a lathe. I was just trying to say that there are machines out there and I'm hoping someone will hear of your situation and either give you a machine for free or at very little cost. I've had it happen to me several times so I will cross my fingers for you.

Back