Starting completely from scratch -literally- In what order should I make my tools?

G Jones

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone!
I'm planning on setting up a very small benchtop metalworking shop over the next few years. I want to be able to work on material sizes from watchmaking to small models. The catch, however is that I'm going to do it from scratch - LITERALLY.

A few years ago I broke my back and ended up on long term disability, effectively retiring me at 33 years o age. I started losing my mind without something to take up my time so I started to get into metalworking. The problem is, being disabled, I only have maybe 50-150$ a month to invest in my shop. On the upside I'm a skilled woodworker and I have access to some bigger machines at the local makers space if I need them.

My plan is to start with a surface plate and some nist certified gauges and work my way up through all the basic steps of accuracy, from squares and rules, to dial indicators, all the way up to a mini drill press, lathe, and mill one day.

So my first question is this- if you had to build a machine shop from scratch on a desert island, with only a surface plate and gauges to reference, how would you start?

Cheers!

PS - I'm aware this is totally crazy and it's going to take many, many years, but that's sort of the point. I have all the time in the world, next to no money, and a solid understanding of basic engineering.
I want to see how far I can take things.

Hello and welcome:)

The first tool to make would be a lathe, that is after you make the foundry....
You're not the first to have this thought.

Detailed blog about building gingery

There seem to be a few of you in Victoria, maybe you should get together?

Cheers,

JOhn

Last edited:
Start by assembling a small assortment of hand tools, hammer (machinist, not claw) Cold chisels. hack-saw, files and blocks of metal. Work toward making a small hand of foot (treadle) powered lathe. With this you could make a larger lathe, needing a motor.

I'd start by locating a treadle operated (antique) sewing machine. It is claimed that a lathe can reproduce itself.

Last edited:
I would start with what ever tool is needed to make the first piece of the first tool you need. Then you first need to acquire the tool to measure that first part.

If you start by picking tools to buy, then you may end up spending a lot on pieces that are cool but you have no use for. If you get pieces and tools as needed then you will not have wasted any of your precious little cash on things you do not need and may never use.

I've looked through the Gingery plans extensively! I'm planning something much smaller for now though, something closer to a jewelers/watchmakers lathe.

as far as power tools are concerned, I would think a drill press would be a better first step so that I can at least make plumb and level holes with which to bolt together a beginners lathe.

I was thinking of taking a 3 or 4 hp motor from a treadmill, hacking up a speed controller, and having one big motor for all my tools. I can't really see needing more torque for a tabletop machine.

The other big question is cutting dovetails. or at least some sort of locking /sliding keyway. Haven't quite figured that out yet.

Cheers!

If you're willing to repair stuff and piece together things from other things you can create whatever you want.

I'm building a CNC mill/drill from piece parts and imagination.

That said, if I was looking to get into a very small lathe I would seriously consider checking out one of the cheap china made things. If that doesn't appeal to you look into building with 80/20 extrusions.

Interesting idea using just one motor, like a modern miniature line shaft shop;)

Cheers,

JOhn

And yes, you will want a drill press.

Lay it on it's side and you have the start of a lathe....

But I use my lathe to drill holes all the time, makes it easy to put them exactly where I want with a 4 jaw chuck.

Sorry bout that I hit post too soon. Most of this book is wood working tools but it should get the creative mind in gear.
Also look at vintageprojects.com
Dave

Look for busted machines in your area. You may be able to piece some stuff together by finding "machines that no longer work" and putting 2 together or as you have already said, using a treadmill motor to power it. Local to me there have been a couple of mini lathes for cheap that had bad motor control boards. Otherwise they looked in decent shape.

It is easier to use a lathe to make a lathe or any other tool than to make a lathe without one.

Back