Starting a new shop building

What was the thought behind the center compartment entrance wall being recessed?

What was the thought behind the center compartment entrance wall being recessed?

Honestly 2 main reasons; 1- because I just didn't' think I needed that big of a room for just a mill and lathe, and 2- because I thought it kind of looked cool. lol
The wall with the doorway can be moved if I need to enlarge the room. The recessed area I thought would be good for things like a screw cabinet or something similar for bulk storage of small items that I didn't necessarily need in the machine area, more for in the general area. After I got the wall up I was sitting looking and admiring my work and it occurred to me that I may wall in one side of the recess for my compressor. That would make it pretty much central in the shop. Still thinking what to do what that area.

Was just curious. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I enjoy learning different ways of setting shops up. Good for me to think about these things when I get to building mine. As much as I would like to think that all this info will enable me to make the shop perfect, knowing me, I will wish I had done something different when it is all done. Don't really know until you use the space.

The wood on this has cost me over 3 times what I budgeted for it. Between a few storms, lots of building going on and I guess the pandemic.
Understand that. Picked up some lumber last week to make some work tables for my shop. Talk about sticker shock. 2x4x8's were 7 bucks each and CDX 1/2" plywood was 33 dollars a sheet. o_O

Understand that. Picked up some lumber last week to make some work tables for my shop. Talk about sticker shock. 2x4x8's were 7 bucks each and CDX 1/2" plywood was 33 dollars a sheet. o_O

Yeah. Ive got over $4k in wood and that should have been around $1.5k. It's really made me look hard at what I'm doing. I never intended to build a Taj Mahal, but I've cut some things I wanted. I had planned on densifying the slab and then sealing it. Looks like now that's out. I go back and forth on painting, I will paint the exposed foam above 8' and on the roof but probably not the plywood walls. It will be nice and very functional when done, if not quite as fancy as I had originally planned.

Well, I got exposed foam painted white, just used the flat white maintenance paint from Lowes at $35/5 gallons. Thanks to Stonebriar for the advice. Doing the foam under the entire roof and the top 4' of wall all around used right at 12 gallons. The left over paint will probably be used in one of the rooms.

Also got some lights up. Those are 4' LED ready fixtures (no ballast from factory) and 4' LED bulbs. I'm very happy with these. The fixture was $14 each, and the bulbs were just under $5 each (2per fixture). That was cheaper than going with T8 fluorescents by a pretty good margin. The bulbs are supposed to have over a 50,000 hour lifespan. Both the fixtures and bulbs are UL rated.

20210213_171218.jpg

Looking good, you will be happy that you painted the foam/ceiling.

Where did you buy the lights. Seem to put out some good light.

I bought from 1000bulbs.com strictly because I could pick up at will call about 10 minutes from my office and save the shipping.

I already am happy I painted! That was a great suggestion.

The 8' LED lights are excellent...the whiteness and lack of shadows (with so many different point sources) make for very pleasant working conditions.

This is what I bought:

on the bulbs, the lumens is how bright the bulb is, higher number is more output. The 4100 Kelvin refers to the 'color' of the light output. Lower numbers are more yellow, 4000 is basically pure white, 5000 Kelvin has that blue look.

Back