Splat's new Heavy 10

Just saw this thread. I try to read up on every Heavy 10 rebuild as mine is waaayyyyyy past due for a refurb. I was going to suggest Al Bino (yes that's his real name) for the flat belt. Got one for my horizontal B&S years ago and he's a great guy to deal with. On my Heavy 10, I went with the adjustable V belts. I think they're called 'link belt' or something. They're available for cheap and never wear out. And you can install/remove without taking the spindle out like you have to do with the serpentine belts.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACCU-Link-S...375508?hash=item5b26b45194:g:FK4AAOxyhodRweYR
Just a sample of the belt.

Rick,

Is it a common practice to use link V belt on H10 instead of the flat belt? Did you have to modify any part of your H10 to use the link belt? I am curious as I am about to venture into rebuilding a H10.

Thank you

I saw one too but, and the seller's within 40mins of me, but he's got no clue what lathe the leadscrew's from. Judging by what he's telling me it may be the one I need. I'm going to take mine out of the lathe and bring it up there to match it. I know some guys can bend/straighten these leadscrews but .... I may try that yet. I got nothing to lose now!
Hey Splat,
Any luck on the replacement lead screw? I would be hesitant to try to straighten and reuse the old one as no matter how close you get it to straight the screw will still be bent some what and place stress on the 1/2 nuts and may even cause slight issues if the machine is used for threading? I'm a newbie so take this with a grain of salt...as much a question I guess as a comment.

Rick,

Is it a common practice to use link V belt on H10 instead of the flat belt? Did you have to modify any part of your H10 to use the link belt? I am curious as I am about to venture into rebuilding a H10.

Thank you

I've seen quite a few older machines designed for flat leather belts run the adjustable link belts. I run mine inverted, with the V facing outward. If you want originality, the Al Bino is the way to go. If you want unfailing reliability, get an adjustable link belt.

I've seen quite a few older machines designed for flat leather belts run the adjustable link belts. I run mine inverted, with the V facing outward. If you want originality, the Al Bino is the way to go. If you want unfailing reliability, get an adjustable link belt.

That is a great alternative to that flat belt. Do you double up on the link belt, or just one?

Thank you for the tip.

Fenner Drives makes several special kinds of link belting for conveyor applications. They apply various surfaces to the smooth side of the links, Some of these belts have a friction surface that might work well as a flat belt alternative.

I just use one belt on mine. I think it is a 5/8" or 3/4" width, but I don't recall for sure. I bought it used for about $5.00 on ebay years ago. They are almost indestructible.

I would look into the Fenner belts as well. Maybe a better substitute.

When I refurbished my 10L the link belt wouldn't clear the casting under headstock "to thick"
I went with Al Bino green belt , ben working good.

Mine rubbed slightly. Now it works fine. But it's not pretty. Just works and I don't worry about it breaking.

Well guys I'm gonna sell the Heavy 10. After all the restoration work it kills me to do it but I have a G4003g i luckily found local that does what I need. I don't have the time, honestly nor the desire, to find another lead screw for the H10 and replace it after crashing it years ago. I'll be posting the Bison 3 jaw, a SB faceplate, a Jacobs 50 flex chuck, and maybe parting out the lathe on the For Sale section. It's time. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back