SOUTH BEND REBUILD MANUAL

Wish SB lathes didn't use screw on headstock. That and non-hardened ways are the 2 weaknesses of an old South Bend. Other than that, no complaints, except maybe the compound angle setting should have been in the front vice the back, along with the removal set screws.Dave

I forget who but there was some lathe company who used shaft collars to help prevent the chuck from spinning off when in reverse. It supposedly works very well. Here's a pic to illustrate what I'm talking about. I forget where I got the pic from.

collar.jpg

pretty neat. I bet that collar also decreases the chances of a stuck chuck as well, since it holds it in place.

Wish SB lathes didn't use screw on headstock. That and non-hardened ways are the 2 weaknesses of an old South Bend. Other than that, no complaints, except maybe the compound angle setting should have been in the front vice the back, along with the removal set screws.

You could special order an LOO mount. My other SB 16" has that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZrT_pePdwE&list=UUfYG7Rx1YyS1YIK4Q3Gli_Q&index=89 is a video of mine when I was looking for a bit of run out.

pry_down_chuck.JPG

Hooked a come along on the end of a bar in the chuck. Applying penetrant to the front and back. No move yet.

pry_down_chuck.JPG

Have you tried heat with a propane torch yet? It might be just what is needed to break the bond. Try not to heat the spindle, just the backing plate of the chuck around the spindle. If it doesn't break loose apply penetrant as it cools, it will get sucked in as it cools.

I haven't applied heat yet. If necessary I will get to that once I get it into the shop.

Doco, have you tried my method that I linked to? I strongly advise you to try it next. Here's the link again.

Doco, have you tried my method that I linked to? I strongly advise you to try it next. Here's the link again.

I have not tried anything yet but constant pressure and copious amounts of penetrant. I mentioned using that method in my last video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PXg5C_Repo. One of the comments on that video was to NOT try that process. I will deal with it more specifically once I get the machine moved into the shop where I can apply some heat. I think that will do the trick. We'll see.

I have not tried anything yet but constant pressure and copious amounts of penetrant. I mentioned using that method in my last video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PXg5C_Repo. One of the comments on that video was to NOT try that process. I will deal with it more specifically once I get the machine moved into the shop where I can apply some heat. I think that will do the trick. We'll see.

I just looked for that comment on your video and didn't see it. The only thing close was about whacking it with a hammer, which I certainly do not recommend. Have you looked at the link I gave? From everything I've read, most of it from "old timers", the way I did it is among the safest ways to release a stuck chuck since you're not hammering anything, applying heat, etc... It's your lathe. Just trying to help.

I just looked for that comment on your video and didn't see it. The only thing close was about whacking it with a hammer, which I certainly do not recommend. Have you looked at the link I gave? From everything I've read, most of it from "old timers", the way I did it is among the safest ways to release a stuck chuck since you're not hammering anything, applying heat, etc... It's your lathe. Just trying to help.

This is the comment in it's entirety

hey Donald, I am almost done with my 1904 Hendey lathe. Take it from me, who took it from others- start with the spindle. You won't have anything without a good spindle. Please don't crank on the gear end of it. Get the chuck off, belt off, and gear off then loosen all the lash eliminators. Give it as much play as you can. Then heat it. It will move. I used diesel, was what I had in the bucket! I thought this one was running when purchased??
Emphasis mine.

Back