SOUTH BEND REBUILD MANUAL

doco

Active User
Registered
I am embarking upon the rebuild of a South Bend 16/24 lathe and have seen this manual mentioned several times and am wondering where one may be obtained?

[video=youtube;cFNE_1pZ9yw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFNE_1pZ9yw[/video]

TIA

I am embarking upon the rebuild of a South Bend 16/24 lathe and have seen this manual mentioned several times and am wondering where one may be obtained?

[video=youtube;cFNE_1pZ9yw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFNE_1pZ9yw[/video]

TIA

Try here http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Rebuild...223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256153498f. That book covers 40s to 80s industrial SB lathes (10 and up). He also sells gasket/felt kits, but I don't think he sells a rebuild kit for a 16. I have seen the capillary oilers for the 16, you may be able to combine another kit with the capillary oilers to complete, I would check with the seller. I'm rebuilding a 9a and purchased the kit, good seller, high quality stuff.

Please put up some pictures too! I'd love to see a big SB restoration go down!

Taz, first heard of the manual on your thread and have been following it as well. I will be posting here as well as keeping up with the build on my YouTube channel.

Thanks...

Taz, first heard of the manual on your thread and have been following it as well. I will be posting here as well as keeping up with the build on my YouTube channel.

Thanks...

I hadn't watched the link yet, holy smokes brother that thing is huge!! Just a little tooling came with it though? HA! Bummer about the lead screw, hard to make a new one without one. Nice find, looking forward to following your channel and watching the progress unfold.

Wow that thing is a beast. Looks like you got a lot of good tooling with it.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your rebuild process.

bob

Great find!
How long is it?
I’m jealous my 16/24 is only 120” long

Great find!
How long is it?
I’m jealous my 16/24 is only 120” long

13' overall but the bed is 144". I haven't measured between centers yet. It is a beast. Got to rearrange things in the shop before I can even get it in there. The door is 11' - I wonder how well 13' will squeeze in :headscratch:

Great find and a really good candidate for a restore. I too would like to see a restore thread on a really big south bend. Please post pics here or your you tube links. Wow, that things big! Makes my 10L look like a tinker toy, LOL.

I bought that manual from that seller. I am currently using it in rebuilding my 13" South Bend.
It is a big help. It does however, have a few errors. I think they used the heavy 10 to write the book. Some of what they tell you to do is not possible on a 13".

I bought that manual from that seller. I am currently using it in rebuilding my 13" South Bend.
It is a big help. It does however, have a few errors. I think they used the heavy 10 to write the book. Some of what they tell you to do is not possible on a 13".

Yeah, the book is kinda general for all the south bends listed, it does cover some of the differences between all the lathes, but not all. It is imo a very useful book just the same, and I have never seen another like it specifically for south bends. There is a lot of good tips and advice on how to disassemble a south bend without boogering everything up. Plenty off pictures so that even if yours is not exactly like the one pictured you can figure it out. Most of the south bends are the same just scaled up in size.

Back