SOUTH BEND REBUILD MANUAL

I bought that manual from that seller. I am currently using it in rebuilding my 13" South Bend.
It is a big help. It does however, have a few errors. I think they used the heavy 10 to write the book. Some of what they tell you to do is not possible on a 13".

I purchased one from eBay yesterday. Spent some of today trying to get the chuck off of the headstock. She's a no move...:wrench:

I purchased one from eBay yesterday. Spent some of today trying to get the chuck off of the headstock. She's a no move...:wrench:
I have heard of guys having success removing stuck chucks by engaging the back gears and clamping a pipe about 2' to 3' long in the chuck so it hangs of the side of the lathe. They then hang a bucket on the pipe and fill it with weight and leave it hang, apply penetrating oil of choice and check daily, when the bucket hits the ground, it's loose. After a couple of days if it still hasn't broken loose and after applying penetrate a few times a day, sometimes a little heat from a propane torch will help, but do not over heat! Like most things with working on a old south bend, patience is the key.

Sounds like a plan Woody. I'll hang that 14" 4Jaw off of my 6' pry bar that ought to do it. :thumbsup:

Be patient. Soak it down , soak it down again ....may take days....get a good strap wrench and put a hex bar in the chuck put a wrench and bar on that while holding the spindle pulley with the strap wrench and bar give it all you have got...soak it down again and try again the next day ....third day mine came loose....don't jeopardize your back-gears for lack of patience ....I used the strap and wrench with 4 foot bars it will come loose ...you can leave weight on the bar that will help

Be patient. Soak it down , soak it down again ....may take days....get a good strap wrench and put a hex bar in the chuck put a wrench and bar on that while holding the spindle pulley with the strap wrench and bar give it all you have got...soak it down again and try again the next day ....third day mine came loose....don't jeopardize your back-gears for lack of patience ....I used the strap and wrench with 4 foot bars it will come loose ...you can leave weight on the bar that will help
I agree and forgot to mention, DO NOT PULL ON THE CHUCK HARD WITH THE BACK GEARS ENGAGED. Sorry for not mentioning that.

I agree and forgot to mention, DO NOT PULL ON THE CHUCK HARD WITH THE BACK GEARS ENGAGED. Sorry for not mentioning that.

OK. I put a 1.250" x 9' pry bar in the chuck and pulled - before I read your post. So, now that we have cause, what is the effect? :help:

Also, looking forward a bit, I will be wanting to make a few gears for the beast. Whcih brings me to the question of how to determine the gear pitch and which involute gear cutter(s) to buy?

OK. I put a 1.250" x 9' pry bar in the chuck and pulled - before I read your post. So, now that we have cause, what is the effect? :help:

Also, looking forward a bit, I will be wanting to make a few gears for the beast. Whcih brings me to the question of how to determine the gear pitch and which involute gear cutter(s) to buy?

Remember what I advised about patience and letting the penetrating oil work and do it's thing, apply 2 or 3 times a day until it works. The reason we don't advise pulling on a long bar with the back gear engaged is because you can break teeth off the gears. It might take a few days for the oil to work and the weight of the bucket to do it's job. But one day you may go to check it and the bucket will be on the ground and you will know it worked with out damaging anything.

There is nothing broken. I have applied the 9' bar with the 14" 4Jaw hung on it and plenty of penetrant. We'll see what shakes out over the next few days while I wait for the rebuild manual...

Thanks

This is probably the safest way to remove a stuck chuck. I got it from another machinist board and it worked like a charm for me. No broken back gear teeth, no heat, or hammering anything. Good luck with it. You'll get it.

I normally engage back gears and lightly turn the chuck. If it takes more effort, I use the strap wrench. I hadn't thought about penetrating oil. That's a good idea. If I recalll, mixing acetone and something else (transmission fluid) is as good as anything.

That neat clamp and the heating idea are good as well.

What do you do with a stuck dog plate? I had this happen and had a heck of a time removing it. I think it got stuck b/c I was doing heavy interrupted cuts.

Wish SB lathes didn't use screw on headstock. That and non-hardened ways are the 2 weaknesses of an old South Bend. Other than that, no complaints, except maybe the compound angle setting should have been in the front vice the back, along with the removal set screws.

Dave

Back