South Bend Heavy 10 restoration

Beautiful job! You should be proud of that machine and your work on it. She'll be around for a looong time.

Always nice to follow along and see one come together, also really cool to see it run. Great work, she will serve you well. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Thanks so much for the kind words fellas. I simply cannot wait to get it into place and start making chips. I've decided I will sell the Atlas first and then move the heavy 10 into it's place as space is very much an issue. Wish me a speedy sale!

Ok! On Sunday I kissed my Atlas 10" goodbye. I am still a bit apprehensive about it... But I have to move on. It served me well.

There it sat.
uploadfromtaptalk1403697452282.jpg

There is a hole....
uploadfromtaptalk1403697503255.jpg

Monday I moved the heavy 10 into place and wired it up.

uploadfromtaptalk1403697545282.jpg

My vfd setup. I decided against an enclosure for now. We'll see later if I do one or not.

Thanks for looking. More to come.

uploadfromtaptalk1403697452282.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1403697503255.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1403697545282.jpg

Fantastic job. I've been following since your first post. What a difference between now and the day you started!

You've done a job to be really proud of! Great end result and I'm sure very rewarding.

Thanks for draggin' us along. ;^)

Always great to follow along on a build and see the end result. Great work. Thanks for posting.

Fantastic job Thoro,boy these machines require alot of work to get them back to their glory days which you done very well.But you know what you have,it will last several life times before someone else in the yr 2114 maybe will do it again.These lathes are worth every minute and every penny spent on them.Congrats

I am an electrician, and have no machinist knowledge. I bought a South Bend drill press last Sunday, for home projects. I was gonna buy a cheap drill press from one of the box stores, read the reviews on them, and decided to check out Craigslist to see what was out there. Found the South Bend for slightly more money than the starter ones at the stores. I say all this so you can see where I'm coming from. I read the whole thread, and wish I could buy the unit from you, not because I know how to use a lathe, but because your finished restoration is absolutely beautiful! I would put it in my living room, and call it art. I tip my cap to you Sir. You have made me want to get a lathe and learn how to use it. Artie

Been a while. Gearbox threading chart refinish.

So it's been a while. Since I got my lathe up and running, I have been using it a lot and love it. Such a gratifying experience this has been to restore it to use it.

A real quickie post here on my threading chart badge that goes on the gear box which I refinished.

Here is a before.

IMG_20131229_143051.jpg

And here is an after.

IMG_20140616_190004.jpg

I used a technique that I read about and probably adapted through trial and error for my own purposes and reasons. I used rustoleum professional spray can paint, and mineral spirits with a rag and soft wood stick to rub away the areas I didn't want paint. This had to be one of the most tedious portions of the restoration. Took me 4 hours to finish, in one sitting. I realize there should be black in there as well...I didn't have the guts for a 2 toned paint job here.

Here are some pictures of the process.

IMG_20140616_165919.jpg

IMG_20140616_183153.jpg

IMG_20131229_143051.jpg IMG_20140616_190004.jpg IMG_20140616_165919.jpg IMG_20140616_183153.jpg

That took some serious patience, but it DOES look great.

Back