South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

Before you went ahead and screwed up your chuck, did you AT LEAST disassemble it and check for swarf caught in the scroll or threads?
Yes I did as discussed in previous posting. All the jaws were numbered to match chuck numbers so no mix up. I Was up early this morning so I finished grinding jaws down to .001” runout.

You probably don't want to hear about the 9A I got in mint condition for $480CAD ($370 USD) from a local school auction :(
No more salt in my open wounds! If there is such a thing as learning satisfaction I have paid my dues. I learned a lot off this lathe and now it cuts and runs sweet even though the ways have a lot of wear but is consistent for about 3/4 of the bed length. Good enough for any little hobby needs I may have. It's like the old saying goes, "Experience cost! How much you wanna pay?"

Last edited:
After my"new" compound screw arrives, and installed, New cross-slide and compound nuts have already been replaced. I don't know what else I could do to make the lathe any better. I could do some touch up painting cause everyone knows that a pretty well painted lathe is a good lathe! Ha Ha ha ha Ha! Put me on medications cause I gotta get some emotional relief. LoL Well actually I did remember that I bought a QCTP that I need to put on the compound after making a mount for it.

Yes I did as discussed in previous posting. All the jaws were numbered to match chuck numbers so no mix up. I Was up early this morning so I finished grinding jaws down to .001” runout.
Did you test the runout with different diameters?

Did you test the runout with different diameters?
No, not yet, but you can physically see a big difference in the lack of wobble due to non concentricity. I ground down jaw #3, about .013", till it was same as #1 and #2 jaws and then went another .001" to clean all the jaws the same. It was not as hard, as I thought it was going to be, once I watched the YouBoob video using a Dremel pencil. I made the Dremel pencil holder a couple of years ago but had never used it till now.

Always seems to be something to keep me from completing a project. I made the QCTP mount but lack a 12.5mm drill bit. I want to use the 14mm bolt that came with the QCTP and already have the 14x1.5mm tap. Local hardware store wanted $19.99 for a drill bit and told them to just keep it! Bought one on eBay for $6.98 shipped but now have to wait a week for delivery.

Attachments

• 20200217_110724.jpg
    20200217_110724.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 20200217_181836.jpg
    20200217_181836.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
A 1/2" drill wouldn't work for this? It's only 0.008" over-sized and you're tapping into steel.

A 1/2" drill wouldn't work for this? It's only 0.008" over-sized and you're tapping into steel.
.008" is quite a bit. Think I'll just wait cause don't really need the QCTP at the moment.

Received my new and old compound screws today. Installed and now only have .005" slop now instead of the .020" with the old screw. It is a small dial but I find it earsier to read because of the crisp lines on the dial. I could always switch dials it I find it cumbersome.20200218_182332.jpg

Last edited:
Back