South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

Did a cut test to find out the way wear between two points. At 2-1/4" from chuck jaws I was off .003" from 5-3/4" out due to the further out I went the better the ways got and tolerance got tighter. Don't guess there is anything that can be done short of finding a derelick 9A just for the bed and I don't think that's going to happen with me. In the pic you can see the wear lip at the top of the way! (Just above the text.)

20200218_192516.jpg

Have you leveled your lathe?

Did you center your tailstock?

Your tool is extending out way too far. 0.003" is too much difference to be due to the ways - my guess is that the tailstock is not on center.

Your tool is extending out way too far. 0.003" is too much difference to be due to the ways - my guess is that the tailstock is not on center.

Very good point! I found that it was necessary to add .005" shim stock to level it out with the spindle. I had leveled the tailstock before I had shimed the spindle but not after and I also ground the jaws. Those two things might be affecting my tolerances. I'm sure that it had changed after truing the chuck. I need to go back and check that. Thanks!

http://www.lostcreekmachine.com/index.htm

Click "Here" under lathe parts, 5th item down. Pictures aren't great but it is fairly local to me so I could take a look at it.
Wow! That would really be great that you would do that for me. $99 isn't bad but don't know what shipping would be like to Tampa, Florida. The ways appear to look pretty good from the pictures. Thank you!!

Yes I did level my lathe. Seems pretty solid as I screwed the table to the wall also. Your correct about the tool extending too far. That tool holder dead ends about half the length of the tool bit. I'm going to cut the few tool bits I have in half so they will be shorter.

Last edited:
Received my new and old compound screws today. Installed and now only have .005" slop now instead of the .020" with the old screw. It is a small dial but I find it earsier to read because of the crisp lines on the dial. I could always switch dials it I find it cumbersome.View attachment 314073
I've been staring at this pic because something didn't seem right to me. That hex nut and washer behind the graduated dial should be a round collar with a hash mark on the top and a spanner hole on the bottom. I'm to tired to walk out to the shop and look at mine, but I think I have that right. Doesn't matter if it works.

I've been staring at this pic because something didn't seem right to me. That hex nut and washer behind the graduated dial should be a round collar with a hash mark on the top and a spanner hole on the bottom. I'm to tired to walk out to the shop and look at mine, but I think I have that right. Doesn't matter if it works.
Your correct. Don't know if you saw where I bought that screw assembly off eBay and have just installed it today. That screw assembly probably came off an older 9" lathe with a smaller dial gage. It has a hex nut instead of the round collar with a spanner hole. I added a washer trying to get the "0" to be at the top for alignment with the scale but didn't work out so I just added a punch mark. I could just change the large dial from my old screw but it works fine for now.

Last edited:
Wow! That would really be great that you would do that for me. $99 isn't bad but don't know what shipping would be like to Tampa, Florida. The ways appear to look pretty good from the pictures. Thank you!!
Maybe we can set up a pony express. I can get it to Crawfordsville, Indiana. If someone else is local to there and could advance it closer to Tampa and so on, we might be able to make it low cost.

Maybe we can set up a pony express. I can get it to Crawfordsville, Indiana. If someone else is local to there and could advance it closer to Tampa and so on, we might be able to make it low cost.
I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what the shipping charges would be. My lathe was shipped to me from Illinois by FASENEL and was $175 for a whole complete lathe with table. I'm thinking it should be quite a bit cheaper for just the lathe bed.

Back