South Bend 10k Clean Up

I did a bit more work to the bench, made a chip tray and made some tooling on the weekend. I also bought 3 cheap little oil cans for my different oils I use.

I have just ordered all my remote switches etc so I can get that big VFD hidden under the bench.

IMG_4480.jpg

I'm glad that you finally got a top on your bench. You might want to put a lip all the way around the bench to help contain the chips (make the top an even larger chip tray).

I'm glad that you finally got a top on your bench. You might want to put a lip all the way around the bench to help contain the chips (make the top an even larger chip tray).

Thanks. My metal folder (home made) will only fold 3mm aluminium at around 700mm wide so thats almost as wide as I could make the chip tray. I was contemplating making two of them with out being folded at one end and tig'ing them together to cover the whole table top....I may still do that.

I have a bit of a to do list which I want to work through as time and money becomes available.......

1, Make a remote switch box to control the lathe so I can mount the VFD out of the way. (switches etc are ordered)
2, Paint the Collet holder, steady rest and follower rest.
3, Buy or make some new hardware. The bolts that hold the gear box and apron in place are marred up a little as well as a lit of the set screws etc.
4, Align the tailstock. In fact check the alignment on the whole lathe. (I need to get some sort of aligning bar)
5, Buy a 4 jaw chuck and holder.
6, Set the gear train up correctly for Metric threading. (New 56t gear is on its way, I have the rest)
7, Replace all the felts etc
8, Replace headstock end washer with a thrust bearing of some sort.
9, Source some new oil cups from somewhere or make some.
10, Machine a better way to hold some of the gear train gears so they are not as loose and hopefully itll make the gears quieter.
11, Practice, practice and practice..........

Im sure there is more but thats the main list for this year..........

I hope its ok but I changed the title to reflect what is happening in this thread.

I received the original manufacture card for my South Bend today and I also had an email conversation with the gent I bought it off so I know little more about it.

As per the serial search it was in fact manufactured in 1963. It was sold to Amsted Industries in Luxembourg. Everything that came with it is all the original equipment including the travel rest and steady rest. The gent that sold it to me, sold it with a brand new quick change gear box, and I mean brand spanka.....it had been sitting around for 50 years but had never been used. He also gave me the full set of metric transposing gears, also brand new.

It had an odd tooth count for the gears as per the card (which were also on it when i got it) so I assume the Amsted were using it for some oddball job in a mass production manner??

Anyway, the gent said he bought it from an importer in the Philippines in the 70's. He had it and all his other gear shipped to Australia when he migrated over here and it sat in his garage ever since. He had all intentions of fixing it up but never got around to it.

So at a guess for the 10 years it was actually used it looks like someone has crunched the original gearbox and it was simply put out of commission. The original gear box had a couple of gears that had the sides stripped off them so someone has been changing speeds while it was running. The lead screw gear didnt look a lot better, nor did the idler gear. But everything else on the lathe when I got it besides being dirty was tight and like new basically.

I am very happy I found its history.

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 8.47.19 am.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 8.47.06 am.png

Hi Dan
Is this thread live?
I just bought a 10K just like yours, a few years older (1959/60).
I'm starting to refurbish so any advice is welcome.
(I'm an Aussie expat BTW, living in LA).

Sorry for the late reply. Only advice I can give is that there are a lot of great youtube videos out there that will tell you everything you need to know.
I love my old lathe btw, it does everything I need and is a far better machine than I am.

Just as an update, I did install a remote switch panel to operate the VFD.

1390b149edb330b3cd8eee055d212c81.jpg

Back