South Bend 10k Clean Up

At risk of replying to and answering my own questions in my own thread I found the problem.........

Some goose put the gear on the wrong way around on the end of the lead screw...I wont mention who that goose was ;)

At risk of replying to and answering my own questions in my own thread I found the problem.........

Some goose put the gear on the wrong way around on the end of the lead screw...I wont mention who that goose was ;)

I was going to suggest that you look for geese in your shop!

Also, what do you mean by side-to-side slope in the leadscrew? Across, or long way?

That's a really impressive turn around! Looking very nice!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That's a really impressive turn around! Looking very nice!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks, it was just a clean up, no special rebuilds at this stage.

I was going to suggest that you look for geese in your shop!

Also, what do you mean by side-to-side slope in the leadscrew? Across, or long way?

It was long ways. There is none now, or very little.

I just come back in from testing it, and I am happy to say everything now works as it should, she is beautiful.

The clutch doesnt always disengage as it should but I am very confident I can sort that out. I never pulled it apart when I clean up the apron so I am sure it needs a proper clean.

The clutch doesnt always disengage as it should but I am very confident I can sort that out. I never pulled it apart when I clean up the apron so I am sure it needs a proper clean.

Sometimes there's a burr on one of the pressure plates that interferes with disengaging. If you dig into it and find one, just stone the burr flat and you should be okay.

Thanks for that. Ill pull it apart in the next day or so and check it out.

Very nice lathe- the perfect size for a hobby shop. I always liked the apron arrangement on those, since running them in high school
-Mark

I am happy to report the clutch issue is all sorted and everything on the lathe works as it should.

I simply pulled it all apart and cleaned it. Man it was filthy inside it. When I put it back together however, I suspect I may have caused the sticking issue when I put it back together the first time.........goose in the shop again ;)

Not really, but the knob the you turn to loosen/tighten the clutch was worn and recessed where it contacts, allowing the clutch to loosen too far and bind up. I cleaned up the worn surface and for now just used a washer to pack the knob back out but Ill seek out a nicer solution in the future.

There wasnt a lot in it, but just enough wear (2-3mm) to allow the plates to bind.

Back