South Bend 10k Clean Up

Danshell

Registered
Registered
First of all this is my first post and my first lathe. I have never turned a piece of steel in my life.....yet, so I am a total newbie and have a massive learning curve ahead of me.

I just bought a South Bend Lathe but I know zero about it. I was hoping I could get some help dating and Identifying it.
I believe I have purchase a Heavy 10 that comes with a gear box and extra gears that will allow me to cut metric threads.

So my only questions at this stage are.......

Is it a Heavy 10?
Is it dated in the 40's?
Do those gears and spare gear box appear to be what I need to cut metric threads?
Where can I buy Chucks for this lathe? (I am in Australia but dont mind shipping from the US)
If I am searching for chucks what is the large thread size and/or what is the bolt pattern on the chuck holder? (I have several that came with the machine none of them match the bolt pattern)
And finally, it has no motor. My initial research suggests I should buy a 1hp 3phase and use a VFD to run it from my 240v single phase power. If so I gather that would make the step up pulley system redundant, so I would just leave the pulley in the middle for example?
Or should I just buy a 240v single phase motor and continue to use the step up pulley system to change the speed? If so what size pulley should I put on a 1400RPM motor?

Thanks for any help and apologies if these are really stupid questions. I am starting to research my backside off to learn as much as I can.

DannyIMG_4387.jpgIMG_4386.jpgIMG_4385.jpgIMG_4384.jpgIMG_4383.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome,
You are on a journey of discover. You will get lots of hep, stay tuned.
Do you know anyone in your community that could stop by and help you get started?
Lathes are wonderful machines and they can be very dangerous too.
Youtube, Mr. Pete, has over 1,000 videos. Many on a South Bend.

Hi Thanks, Yes my work place has Machinists in the workshop that are always happy to answer my questions so I will be a sponge with those guys.

Mrpete222 looks like a good start, thanks for that.

That's a 10K. It's NOT a heavy 10, but known rather as a "Light 10". It looks like you received a full metric transposing gear set with your lathe.

That's a 10K. It's NOT a heavy 10, but known rather as a "Light 10". It looks like you received a full metric transposing gear set with your lathe.

Thanks, can you tell that from the serial number or just by looking at its size? Do you know what year it might be? The guy I bought it from told me it was a heavy 10 BTW so Ill give him the benefit of doubt and say he didnt actually know himself!

And finally, it has no motor. My initial research suggests I should buy a 1hp 3phase and use a VFD to run it from my 240v single phase power. If so I gather that would make the step up pulley system redundant, so I would just leave the pulley in the middle for example?
Or should I just buy a 240v single phase motor and continue to use the step up pulley system to change the speed? If so what size pulley should I put on a 1400RPM motor?
I believe South Bend recommended a 1/2 horsepower motor for this lathe:

Re powering with a VFD, there are quite a few threads here on the considerations for doing that. Whether it is worth it is up to you. How badly does changing belts bother you?

You got a tonne of stuff with your lathe. Including an 'extra' quick change gear box. It might be for the 9 inch South Bend?!? Also appears you got a collet drawbar (with red handle). Did you get a collet chuck and collets, too? Also very nice that you got a quick change tool post and holders.

Craig

Thanks, can you tell that from the serial number or just by looking at its size? Do you know what year it might be? The guy I bought it from told me it was a heavy 10 BTW so Ill give him the benefit of doubt and say he didnt actually know himself!
The serial number does have that information coded in it, typically the three letters at the end. If all of those goodies fit, you are very well set. I do not have a VFD for mine, though my new-to-me lathe may get one, unless I get lazy and just do a 110/220 set up.

Welcome to the forum. It's always good to watch people learn.

joe

The "K" indicates a Light 10, aka a 10K. I don't think the heavy 10 was ever sold as a benchtop lathe. The heavy 10 looks like a mini version of the 13-16 UMD lathes.

I am not an expert on this, but I understand that motor ratings today are much more optimistic than they were back then. Peak potential under ideal conditions vs average real operating conditions, or some such. If it came with a motor rated at 1/2hp back then, I would venture you need a 1hp in today's mini-horse ratings. I would not part with my VFD.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=1617&tab=3

Happy reading.

Wow, a "spare" change-gear box? (although it may not fit your lathe....)

I cannot quite tell from the photos, is there a still a plate on the gear-box attached to the machine?
I can't see if it's just dirty, or if it was removed.

That should have the common imperial threading and feed chart on it.
Also, it should give a catalog number, which also might help with the date.

By the way, Grizzly bough the Southbend name and still offers:
some parts here: https://www.grizzly.com/brands/south-bend-lathe/parts
and can supply a PDF copy of the original sales record (see the box on the right-hand side at the above link)

I also suggest you find a copy of the old Southbend book "How to Run a Lathe".
As a site supporter you can download a copy right here, there are multiple versions available:
SB How to Run a Lathe for Beginners - 1914 15th Edition
SB How To Run a Lathe - 1966 27th Edition (56).pdf

Here's a link to the Southbend area in our "Downloads" section:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/south-bend.34/

Welcome to the group!
-brino

Back