Some pictures of the PM 835

No yesterday was real busy with the mill today is doctor day for the wife she gets first call so sorry
The mill came in on a double tall pallet nice and strong but that much higher i was not able to get the mill through the garage door with the plywood on it but had no problem with clearance once it was off i used the 2 ton harbor freight cherry picker to lift the machine we had to put one leg up in the air to be able to get clearance so we tied it down with my tractor it was everything the cherry picker could do to lift made everything short and tight
This was not the best plan
Once the pallet was out of the way i could pick it up enough to move it
I used straps around the ram to get balance but i also used the picking eye
I had a good truck driver but it was very tippy getting off the truck
I still need to put the pads under it and i think i will use the holes in the casting
Very pleased with the machine so far but have not moved things around untill cleanup
Well thats the book report for now yes long winded

20180124_161113.jpg

20180125_111843.jpg

20180125_110718.jpg

20180125_111915.jpg

Wow, that really is a beauty. When you speak of the harbor freight cherry picker, are you talking about their engine hoist? I am going to be a little concerned how I’m going to get mine in the garage and set up when it comes. I really don’t have any special equipment, and I’m going to have to see how others that are in the same boat as I am that receive the machine before me gets their’s set up

Yes i call cherry picker engine hoist it is the two ton version it needs to be at 1-1/2 ton settings which makes it very hard to get height needed
I rented pallet jack from ace to move it around while on the pallet it worked great
I never got the balance we wanted but it was close you might turn the head 180 that is what I was going to do next

I'm cheating and borrowing a bobcat 855 with forks. My friend scored me a bunch of heavy lifting straps from work so I will be all set. I didn't get those leveling feet. I was hoping each corner had a threaded hole and an open hole, like my lathe for leveling. Then I can anchor it down.

Yes i call cherry picker engine hoist it is the two ton version it needs to be at 1-1/2 ton settings which makes it very hard to get height needed
I rented pallet jack from ace to move it around while on the pallet it worked great
I never got the balance we wanted but it was close you might turn the head 180 that is what I was going to do next
JD,
Did you investigate pulling the head off to reduce weight, height, and the center of gravity?
Evan

Here's the pic the manual has you will note that this is not the same machine but this is the manual i got so go from there

15170678170082051537879.jpg

1517067987836728304089.jpg

I didn't want to pull the head if i didn't have to
I think if you turned the head 180 degrees to the back side it would pick straight up

A couple more pics if it will help watch out for the little black knobs I had one laying down on the lower deck and two others that where loose

20180125_111916.jpg

20180125_111843.jpg

20180125_111832.jpg

20180125_111826.jpg

20180125_110545.jpg

20180125_110423.jpg

20180125_111922.jpg

20180125_112820.jpg

I think if you turned the head 180 degrees to the back side it would pick straight up

I rotated the head/ram 180 degrees on my 935 when I had to pick it up off the pallet. I was just kinda standing there looking at the machine and trying to figure out how I could pick up the machine as near level as I could because the first time I tried picking it up with my 2T hoist I ran out of vertical travel because the machine was tipping so bad. I was staring at the mill and getting a bit frustrated when I came up with the idea of rotating the head/ram to the back of the base to better balance the weight front to rear. Worked like a charm. :)

JDS77: That is one nice looking mill. Can't wait to see it fully set up!

JD and Bill,
I'm not following you--rotate the head 180 degrees about which axis?
Evan

Back