Some pictures of the PM 835

A number of other HM members have purchased DRO's from Aliexpress, they are the Amazon (or eBay) of China. I have not purchased from them, but purchased my last DRO from DRO Pros and they are highly recommended also. I would review other posts on their reviews/vendors. On the mill, I would try to swing for the Easson 12B, a lot of forum members have used this on their mills, the quality of the Easson is a cut above the generic DRO's, but it all comes down to budget. Most people put the Z axis on the knee and add a battery operated digital scale for the spindle. You do not need anything fancy for the spindle, there are some bolt on models that you can adapt.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/thedrostore-com-anyone-ever-used-them.64498/#post-536509
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/3-or-4-axis-dro-for-9x42-mill.64170/#post-533621
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/easson-12b-dro-bolt-circle-function.63260/#post-521896
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...ls-on-a-pm1340gt-long-post.55949/#post-479015

On end mills, there are a lot of high quality end mills on eBay at a fraction of their list price, I would recommend 3 flute for aluminum, 4 flute for steel, both center cutting. Maybe a 3/4" rougher for rapid material removal. There are some inexpensive end mill sets, like Shar's..

Just wanted to jump in and talk about picking the mill up off off the pallet I looked at the 932 instructions about use the eye or straps for pickup and where to place the head ram and table to get the best balance I know it will be a little different with this machine and it's high base

I’m kind of wondering if same thing. I think I’m going to pick up one of the harbor freight one ton engine hoists . Does everyone think this would be up for the job, the mill weighs in about 1,400 so I am supposing it is? I thought I would try to hook the hook from the hoist on the eye hook and then crank it up and scoot out the pallet. Of course, I am going to have to put those leveling feet underneath it before I set it. I’m wondering if I would be able to use the engine hoist with the mill hanging from it to wheel it in exactly the right spot

I’m also wondering what size of scales I should get for the X, Y an
Z axis on the 835?

I'm not sure about your machine, the 1.5 ton engine hoist for my machine works well (1800lbs). The hoist has a manual telescoping boom. I belive 3 adjustments, the shortest protrusion is rated 1.5 ton, the longest profusion .5 tons. Because of this it might be better to get the higher rated hoist.
It's always a pain to get pallets out from heavy equipment. I have some big demo bars, floor jack, pry bars, chain hoists, engine hoist, many of the harness straps. And when all else fails, Sawzall to cut the pallet apart

Looks like the combined , the smaller mini mill with a much better head. It looks ALOT like my enco or the jet grizzly counter parts with a well earned upgrade. I like the machine not to big or small. Perfect home shop .

I’m kind of wondering if same thing. I think I’m going to pick up one of the harbor freight one ton engine hoists . Does everyone think this would be up for the job, the mill weighs in about 1,400 so I am supposing it is? I thought I would try to hook the hook from the hoist on the eye hook and then crank it up and scoot out the pallet. Of course, I am going to have to put those leveling feet underneath it before I set it. I’m wondering if I would be able to use the engine hoist with the mill hanging from it to wheel it in exactly the right spot
Given my "Harbor Fright Quality De-rating" and the fact that the boom will likely be extended as far as possible to clear the pallet, I'd be awfully tempted to spend the extra bucks for the 2T, especially given the tragic outcome if something goes wrong. Keep an eye out for a killer coupon. Also, check the rating for the hoist with the boom extended--it seems I read somewhere that the max load goes from 2,000 lbs to under 1,000 lbs at full extension, but I couldn't swear to it. Another option would be to rent a heavy-duty hoist (although it would be nice to have something around to handle heavy stuff!)

Took my own advice and checked out the 1T HF manual online: The max load at full extension is actually only 500 lbs.

Even the 2T hoist is only good for 1k lbs at full extension.

It will be interesting to see how other members of the forum get their 835s in place, At about 1,400 pounds it is not in the same class as a bench mill and promises to be a real dog to get placed. I will have to see if I can rent a true 1 ton hoist ( with the boom extended) and then pray the eye bolt holds and I do not crash the beast.

I used a 2 ton model to move my PM 935, set at 1.5 tons for moving the Mill into position.

The issue was getting enough lift height, which I couldn't get on the 2 ton setting, so I needed to shorten the chain as much as possible and move the arm out for more lift.
IMG_3822.JPG

You should be fine if you do the same or you could use the 1 ton position if you need more lift.

Head down the machine is 60" tall, max height on the HF Shop Crane is 89"

Good luck.

David.

Back