Some general lathe questions and some specific ones on a Clausing 5914 lathe

The steel part of the original leveling pad is 2.5" square by 0.25" thick.
The rubber layer under that is about 0.50" thick, sale outer dimensions.
Hopefully you have the screw pieces, otherwise may need to make some up.
These are really needed to get the lathe properly leveled out.
I (and the PO) have never mounted it to the floor, don't see that as being mandatory.

mp

Only spent a few minutes last night checking this out , it does have a single phase 1 1/2 HP motor , the bracket that the clutch/brake handle rides back and forth on a square shaft is worn pretty good , it hits the chip tray when in the " Brake " position , guessing there's an adjustment but the slop in the bracket is way too much , I think I'll remove it , braze and just file it for a better fit . So far I'm happy with my buy , that might good to poop quick if there's driveline and bearing issues

Since my lathe didn't come with a tailstock . Does anyone know how accurate the turret will be ,or should be , as far as being centered each time it's indexed ? Could a morse taper adapter be made so a center installed , though there would still be an issue with locking the turret the correct depth I think

You may have to shim the turret but it could be done . Is it the correct height ?

Haven't checked but was more concerned if once the turret was all adjusted to being centered to the headstock will it stay the way after indexing a few times ?

It should stay centered once centered . :encourage:

We often had to use cigarette pack plastic shimming the turrets on the Hardinge lathes . If I remember , it's .001 thick .

I think I lost a post or two this past week , anyway . Powered up the lathe on 110v , everything seems to work , I'll be switching it over to 220V but wanted to make sure it functioned first . I see the vari-drive belt is very stiff and memory so that needs to be changed , I'm sure the way those pulleys moved around is way more then a new belt would . Didn't notice until the other day that the are no dials on the carriage my little lathe does but I can't remember if the ones I used years ago did or not !

Oil info (repost)...

Oils (per cross reference on originals)
Headstock: Mobil DTE 24 (some recommend DTE25 for quieter running, I plan to change over to DTE25...)
Carriage: Mobil DTE 26
Ways, open gears: Mobil Vactra #2lube-x-ref-clausing.png

There is no "dial" for carriage movement. You will want to machine yourself a clamp block for a dial indicator, or see recent post on cheap DRO.
The clamp block milling is slightly tricky due to clausings 70 degree vees on the bed.carriage_indicator.jpg

I want to replace the vari-drive belt before I run it any longer , it's very stiff ( ok it's 40*f in the garage and I'm stiff too ) and has a memory so it's making the pulleys move around more then I think they should . I see Gates belt 1930V400 listed for the 5900 series , prices for no name about half but is there a good-better- best as far as how well they work ? I'm getting excited , pretty soon will be able to try it out

Back