Some general lathe questions and some specific ones on a Clausing 5914 lathe

Got the lathe where I think it’s best Owners manual said to use the special feet under the adjusting screws but I didn’t get them Does anyone know what I should use ?

Mine came with the pads for leveling (well 3 and a half of them anyway). They are just some steel plate (3/16 I think) with a hole in it to capture the reduced end of the leveling bolts (did you get these?). Attached to the underside of the steel plate is some hard rubber (maybe fiber reinforced?). I was missing one of the rubber pieces so I just went ahead and replaced them all with some new stuff (not reinforced, but has held up ok for the past few months of use).

Thanks Timwalker ! I did get the screws but no pads . I'll remove one screw to see how big a locating hole should did the hole go through the plate and reset on the shoulder of the screw ?

Thanks Timwalker ! I did get the screws but no pads . I'll remove one screw to see how big a locating hole should did the hole go through the plate and reset on the shoulder of the screw ?

Yes, just a simple through hole in the steel plate. I don't remember there being a hole in the original rubber, and didn't have any issue with the new ones being solid.

Spent a little time cleaning it and the turret before putting it on

Attachments

• 386E67DD-9C95-48A7-8E55-528D9E21CE84.jpeg
    386E67DD-9C95-48A7-8E55-528D9E21CE84.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
This might amuse some , after cleaning the top side I unbolted the side cover was spinning Vari-drive by hand and moved the handle on the front thinking it was a mechanical Forward/Neutral/Reverse , kept spinning the chuck the same direction . Crap , the transmission is stuck in Forward , then it dawned on me the that lever I was moving ran a shaft to the electrical motor control switch :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here’s one of the leveling adjusters it looks like it rode on the bottom edge Not sure then what size hole to make on the pad Also does anyone recognize this other item it was in the lathe drawer

Attachments

• 622B757C-4633-40B5-A1ED-85BE156AA905.jpeg
    622B757C-4633-40B5-A1ED-85BE156AA905.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • F7698317-0DA6-45B4-BCB7-C23AD3D54F27.jpeg
    F7698317-0DA6-45B4-BCB7-C23AD3D54F27.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Machine leveling feet are ideal here, and will help dampen vibrations. They're not the cheapest, but Grizzly Industrial had the best prices last time I looked.

When I put feet like this on my lathe, I had to put spreader bars to widen the footprint of the lathe. It was so top heavy.

See pics for original leveling foot configuration and usage.
The nose of the adjusting screw goes through a metal plate and is retained by a circlip.
There is a rubber pad on the bottom of the plate, with a hole in the middle to clear the adjusting screw.
The adjuster screw has a bore through it to permit attaching the lathe to the floor.
These are from the manual that you can get on groups.io.

Attachments

• foot_leveling1.png
    foot_leveling1.png
    222.1 KB · Views: 26
  • foot_leveling2.png
    foot_leveling2.png
    184.7 KB · Views: 21
machPete I saw the pictures you posted in a manual but couldn't understand but your explanation is great . From looking at just this adjuster I took off it was sitting right on the lower edge instead of where it's supposed to

I found some mounting pads at work from a obsolete equipment so I'll try making my own . If they come out OK I'll level it with a level I have and a friend who works in a machine shop said he would come over with a accurate one to dial it in .

Back