So I'm signed up to take a welding class

Am I too old, or too cynical?

• Total voters
I applaud the school for sending out the info on what is required.
I also applaud them for being responsible and sending out the safety info for the class. What I think is silly is that they had to use 2 extra pages of paper to print out the pictures of what is required when the requirements are spelled out on the first page. Multiply that by every class the college offers and that's a lot of paper wasted. They could have printed on the front and back of each page, but I guess people won't turn the page over to look :rolleyes:

I think a lot of this kind of stuff we can thank the lawyers for. In this sue happy era, everyone has to cover their a**. Mike

Eh, I have no issues with this. I'm going to get serious here, so apologies for bringing down the mood. I'll try to make the last paragraph a good summary if you want to skip over everything in between. This is also going to meander a bit, but context is important.

I was mechanically inept for many, many years, because important people in my life would look down on me when I didn't know how to do things or when I used the wrong tools for a job, regardless of whether or not I had been taught how to do that job. Those same people also expected me to be tough, coordinated, and just a manly man, which really isn't who I am. Growing up, I had some really terrible things happen around me which ultimately meant that I really wanted to live up to these expectations and prove myself to these people. Being looked down on, cursed out, and excluded from proving myself was really hurtful and hard to deal with. I didn't have much success.

Ultimately, I decided that if I just didn't try, I wouldn't get looked down on or beat up on myself, even though I've had a lifelong fascination with metalworking and precision. Not trying meant that my mechanical skills never got exercised. All of these crappy feelings made it really hard to focus on these skills I wanted to learn. Not being able to focus meant that I would fail to realize things that were painfully obvious to those around me, which just reinforced this belief that I sucked and should not try.

It always took a lot of effort for me to build up the courage to go try something like the class you posted, and built-up courage is easily pushed over. I can clearly imagine myself at 20, going to a class wearing gloves that were too thin because the mailer said "leather gloves," without further elaboration, and then feeling so ashamed at finding out my mistake that I never went again and just gave up the whole thing. Something very similar happened on several occasions, including one very nasty period of time that led to me completely dropping out of community college, where I was taking a welding class. That last one wasn't due to something as trivial as gloves, but the root cause was the same, I just felt like too much of an incompetent screw-up to keep going.

I've spent 6 years and thousands of dollars dealing with this stuff in therapy and I'm no longer shackled by this particular problem, but man, it really sucked. I know that my feelings and problems are my own, and that nobody else is obligated to care even one whit. With that being said, I think that something as simple as these two pieces of paper with unambiguous instructions would have really helped me to feel more comfortable and confident when I was younger. A little bit of that pressure I felt would have let off because I would know that the hood I was bringing was going to work, meaning I'd be able to focus on the class instead of stressing out about how I was going to screw up.

So after all of that, here's why I have no issues with this. There are a lot of folks out there who would like to get into welding or machining. If these two pieces of paper help even one extra person to get the right stuff and have a great time at their first class, then I feel like they're absolutely worth it. I always see comments asking why younger people (which I'm one of, according to that "How old are you" thread) aren't getting into the trades. I would say that for a lot of us, it's because we don't have the basic foundational knowledge that we need to start. There are also those (including me) that had extra difficulties thrown in their way. Those extra instructions aren't dumbing things down, they're just lowering the barrier to entry, which is nothing but great in my mind.

EDIT: Wow, that turned out to be a LOT longer than I had originally intended. Sorry for that, and sorry for the "sad story bomb," but I really wanted to make it clear why I think things like this are good and should be the norm.

Badabinski, That's interesting read. My great nephew 21 years old seems to me like he is only 14 years old. For years growing up with his dad was told he couldn't do that or wasn't smart enough for that. He came over and spent a week visiting my wife a few years ago, I didn't know it at the time that he had been treated that way. I asked him if he had ever run a chain saw, he hadn't I gave him some safety tips and was there to watch over him. He was a little clumsy at first but got a handle on it after a bit and did really well. A year later he came over for a week stay we went I got Pizza just the cash register took a dump the gal working the front counter could not count the change back to. I asked Matt if he could do that of course he couldn't he didn't even know how to count change at all. He didn't know what a nickel was, didn't know what a quarter was. Very sad indeed. A complete failure on his parents' part in my mind. Let alone the school system, how do you graduate from high school and can't count or do simple math?

After high school he got accepted into the Job Corp system and has really learned a lot. Still several years behind where he should be.

Tim

I really wanted to make it clear why I think things like this are good and should be the norm.

I think your point is well made and needs the background. I’m glad you stuck with your desires. Some people struggle with messing things up. Others breeze past it with barely a thought. I agree that we should well tolerate approaches that help some people, especially when they don’t put a burden on others (e.g., instructions).

Last edited:
Agree, they are just being thorough. They could easily get people who have never used a tool in their life and don't understand that yoga pants while fully covering their legs are not what was meant by "long pants".

I took an entry level auto shop class at the local community college and found the other student quite interesting. The vast majority were coming straight from high school. They didn't have a lot of money for tools, most didn't have much experience using tools. This was very different from me who was helping my Dad make stuff pretty much since I could hold a hammer.
They didn't send out a handout, the first class the teacher went over everything from appropriate clothing, to going over the list of recommended tools (Harbor Freight is fine, don't buy Snap on yet), and class expectations. The teacher made a point of running the class like a job, because many of the students had never had a job.

Anyway it made me realize how much we can take for granted. I encountered this dealing with the legal issues becoming the conservator for my mother. I showed up for my court date wearing a suit and tie, because I thought "that is what you do in court" (Hey I've seen My Cousin Vinnie). My lawyer saw me before court and said, for the future you don't need to wear a suit, just dress nice. These days only lawyers and defendants in murder cases wear a suit. :grin:

When I was in high school metal shop we would sneak up to our buddies machine and crank up the amps. That created all types of metal art...........

I have no idea what you are talking about... I never saw anybody making throwing stars either. ;)

Back