So I'm signed up to take a welding class

Am I too old, or too cynical?

• Total voters
I applaud the school for sending out the info on what is required. Without it, people would be showing up wearing flip-flops, shorts and T-shirts. Trying to make the world a safer place is a fool's errand, because the world keeps making better idiots.

I signed up for a metal art class for 2 hours 1 day per week because I really suck at welding. They call it metal arts, but the instructor says you can do anything you want with the tools and welders as long as it's safe.

So I get some info in the mail. They need to send pics of a welding helmet and gloves, and a pic to show you what long pants look like?

I guess my take on it is if you can't read the requirement list you shouldn't be allowed in the class.

I understand they may be a language barrier, but the class is taught in english and you have to understand english to follow the instructions from the teacher.

Oh, there is also a page with a pics of pliers to use to pick up hot materials since they can be "very hot and can do harm to you" (direct quote)

Am I too old, or just to cynical these days?

View attachment 396525
View attachment 396526

No matter how close together the dots are, there are persons who only see spaces and can avoid understanding the point.

We live in a world, where curling irons come with a warning page which says (and I quote): Do not stick in any orifice.

So yes, it is needed. The warnings are not for the people, but so the schools can tell their student's attorneys they were "reasonably warned in a way which was clear and unequivocal".

"why not, some artists throw paint at a canvas and call it art. I call is BS. That's like a painter dropping a paint can from a ladder and calling it art."

Art or not depends on who you are. If you're a famous artist it's a masterpiece. If you're Joe Blow it's cleanup in aisle 3.

Last edited:
Back