So I'm signed up to take a welding class

Am I too old, or too cynical?

• Total voters

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I signed up for a metal art class for 2 hours 1 day per week because I really suck at welding. They call it metal arts, but the instructor says you can do anything you want with the tools and welders as long as it's safe.

So I get some info in the mail. They need to send pics of a welding helmet and gloves, and a pic to show you what long pants look like?

I guess my take on it is if you can't read the requirement list you shouldn't be allowed in the class.

I understand they may be a language barrier, but the class is taught in english and you have to understand english to follow the instructions from the teacher.

Oh, there is also a page with a pics of pliers to use to pick up hot materials since they can be "very hot and can do harm to you" (direct quote)

Am I too old, or just to cynical these days?

20220215_064148.jpg
20220215_064116.jpg

yea, you are both too old and too cynical. Or maybe you're not old enough to know how many types of idiots there are out there.. And not only idiots but people who have never worked with welding and don't understand the heat. They don't equate the spark with heat. Clueless..

Probably put together by someone in the office. Mike

A while back, my wife and I took a two-day art-metal class for the same reasons as you. I wanted some pointers to improve my welding and my wife was a Newby wanting to make lawn junk art. We were told to show up in long pants, long sleeve shirts and closed-toed shoes. Two of the participants showed up in tee-shirts and shorts. They didn't get the helpful picture books like you did so maybe that was the problem?

All in all the class was pretty good. Very hands-on.

So I'm both old and cynical. I can live with that. I guess at my "advanced" age I didn't realize I could still multi task.

I hope the class turns out to be a good one. They limit it to 10 people. The instructor is very helpful. I asked him a couple of questions on the settings on my tig and he wrote me a essay on all the settings. I look forward to meeting him. I found out about the class because I bought my lovely wife a new stove (long story) She wanted to have the scrap guy down the road come get the old one. I suggested posting in on our local group on FB and see if anybody wanted it. Turns out someone did. He picked it up to donate it to give it to the college to do powder coating for the metal arts class. That's how I found out about the class. So what goes around comes around it seems.

I just ordered a new plasma cutter yesterday, will be here tomorrow.

I wonder if they have picture instructions with it? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There are people running around loose that can't change a toilet flapper or even a light bulb. 50 years ago the owner's manual for a new car showed how to adjust the valve tappet clearances. Now it warns against drinking the water in the battery. While most young people today are marvels at doing things in the virtual world, the principles that govern the real world are a mystery to them. A long time ago a program came up that allowed me to take 2 courses at a local trade school for free. As I had no interest in being a dressmaker or a florist I picked welding and machining. At the time I had already been welding for many years and didn't expect to learn much but I was pleasantly surprised. I was amazed to discover how many things I was doing wrong. When flat welding you can compensate for mistakes by making other mistakes but position welding (overhead, horizontal, ect) is far less forgiving. I got a lot out of that welding class and still used what I learned today.

I taught college for many years. You can't be too cynical. People come up with all kinds of excuses/justifications.

From an instructors point of view, these people probably are paying money. Telling them "You can't participate today even though you paid" is not something you want to do casually. Both from a sense of commitment to trying to deliver what you promised, or from a sense of defending your actions when some committee or executive bean counter wants you to explain why that student wanted their money back.

Last edited:
Alloy, Have fun at the welding class. It's a lot of fun and challenging at times. What Plasma cutter did you order?

I have an older Hobart 40 something, it works really well up to about 3/8". I'm sure it well cut thicker stuff; I just never had the opportunity to do so.

Tim

Back