Smithy parts drying up

I rewatched your video and i noticed the assembly on the end of your lead-screw is totally different. You may have a newer machine than mine. My lead screw measured just a few thousandths over 3/4”, so I plan on using a 3/4”-10 Acme trapezoidal thread tap. I don’t see why this wouldn't work at all. I’ll bore a hole in the work piece, tap it, then mill off half the nut that I don’t need. What diameter is your lead screw?
I have reached a point I dont want to put in any hard cash into this machine. If I had other machines I might up grade to new srews and figure out something with the nut.

Or maybe even a ball screw set ? I just dont have the money to bother.

I bought my Smithy because they said they were USA and had some good history.
I have a Midas machine and I, too, see the parts drying up. It's disappointing.
Especially since there's a couple sacrificial gearing pieces that I've already sacrificed a few times.
I can make something to work if, when I need a new part but it's still disappointing.

I bought my Smithy because they said they were USA and had some good history.
I have a Midas machine and I, too, see the parts drying up. It's disappointing.
Especially since there's a couple sacrificial gearing pieces that I've already sacrificed a few times.
I can make something to work if, when I need a new part but it's still disappointing.
I seriously looked at a smithy when I was on the hunt for good machines, I entertained the idea of getting a Granite which has the lathe and Mill together then I looked at their other offerings. It said American but I soon realized they were designing and maintaining machines here but in reality they are imports. At some point along the way I mentioned these to my cousin who is a machinist and he warned me off of them for much the same reasons you guys are discussing. Would seem to me that Smithy is much like Microsoft, they have a certain amount of time they support a machine then...... nothing.

Last edited:
I seriously looked at a smithy when I was on the hunt for good machines, I entertained the idea of getting a Granite which has the lathe and Mill together then I looked at their other offerings. It said American but I soon realized they were designing and maintaining machines here but in reality they are imports. At some point along the way I mentioned these to my cousin who is a machinist and he warned me off of them for much the same reasons you guys are discussing. Would seem to me that Smithy is much like Microsoft, they have a certain amount of time they support a machine then...... nothing.
Not to mention the various differences even with in the same models. I cant get the parts I need from Smithy so Im looking to redesign/upgrade the lead screw and crossslide.

Not to mention the various differences even with in the same models. I cant get the parts I need from Smithy so Im looking to redesign/upgrade the lead screw and crossslide.
One word.
Ballscrew. With stepper drive.
OK, that's 4 words. But you get the point.

Back