Slotting with a 1/16” end mill

That could have been done with a hacksaw.

So I bought off of Amazon an R8 slitting saw arbor and a 1/16" saw blade. Although the saw easily went through the mild steel I did not like the cut. The blade "wobbled" so that instead of having a .063" slit it's much wider. I'm not happy with that. I believe it's from the accuracy of the cheap chinese arbor that's causing it and not the blade. Next, and I should have thought this all out, I discovered that the spindle and quill keep me from going down along side the part to make the other five slits I need. Unless there's some kind of extension for the R8 arbor I think I will not be able to continue with the slitting saw. Somebody mentioned earlier about the slit I'm making obvisously is a "thru" slit, which is true, although I'd prefer that it wasn't.

So I bought off of Amazon an R8 slitting saw arbor and a 1/16" saw blade. Although the saw easily went through the mild steel I did not like the cut. The blade "wobbled" so that instead of having a .063" slit it's much wider. I'm not happy with that. I believe it's from the accuracy of the cheap chinese arbor that's causing it and not the blade. Next, and I should have thought this all out, I discovered that the spindle and quill keep me from going down along side the part to make the other five slits I need. Unless there's some kind of extension for the R8 arbor I think I will not be able to continue with the slitting saw. Somebody mentioned earlier about the slit I'm making obvisously is a "thru" slit, which is true, although I'd prefer that it wasn't.
Maybe making your own arbor for the slitting saw blade will help with the wobble. I had a similar problem with a cheap chinese arbor and I made a simple arbor that solved the problem.

Here is a link to some videos from Stefan Gotteswinter showing how to make an arbor
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/slitting-saw-arbor-types.55156/post-455717

Ariel

maybe a pic of your setup and part, might help understand your issue.
thanks.

Back