Slotting with a 1/16” end mill

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
I need to make 1/16” wide slots at a 5/8” depth for a distance of 1.25”. I need to make six slots per part. It takes me forever to do as the end mill is so tiny and ready to break that I go mind-numbingly slow. In fact, I almost always break the EM before getting a single slot done. I found I can use my bandsaw to slot as well but the blade width is .025”. What would you all recommend I do to get this job done with minimal tool breakage and minimal time to do it in? This is something I will make a lot of over the years. As usual, any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Yep, woodchucker nailed it. Slitting saw.

Ted

I feel like I new about them already but my brain’s not working for me anymore. Anyways, perfect and thank you.

you could also use a 1/16" thick cutoff disc in your angle grinder. a jig could be made easily to work like a shaper.
Dave

I guess the slot has open ends, such that a slitting saw will work? (Does that make it a slot not a pocket?)

$9 blade from Little Machine Shop and my home made mandrel does the trick for me, thanks to suggestions from
the good folks on this forum.
Making 40 of these "barrel nuts"

Attachments

• DSCN8863.JPG
    DSCN8863.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
  • DSCN8866.JPG
    DSCN8866.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
As mentioned slitting saw for us hobbyist. Outside in the real world a Wire EDM will do that. Costly to buy the machine! Need to find a shop to do the job.
Pierre

As mentioned slitting saw for us hobbyist. Outside in the real world a Wire EDM will do that. Costly to buy the machine! Need to find a shop to do the job.
Pierre
You could call Lenox saw blade and see if they have a .06 wide blade that fits your saw.

Back