Slipping tail stock

Maybe I should have mentioned the bottom side only.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Maybe I should have mentioned the bottom side only.

Yes that makes sense. It sounds like an interesting product. In a carbon bike frame, where clamping forces could be limited, help might be needed to hold tight enough as mentioned in this ad. On a lathe however it would be difficult to keep way oil from fouling the 'fibre-grip' on the plate.

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/specialty-products/fiber-grip-

I have a similar problem on my pm1440
Me too. Also the spring pin that holds the offset cam to the shaft in the mechanism is too short. This means some of your energy is taken up from flexing and twisting. I sheared it off from bumping the handle forward to lock the tail stock in place. When I replaced it I used a longer spring pin. It helped, but under heavy drilling forces it still moves. If I take it apart again I'll use a solid tapered pin the next time.

Yes that makes sense. It sounds like an interesting product. In a carbon bike frame, where clamping forces could be limited, help might be needed to hold tight enough as mentioned in this ad. On a lathe however it would be difficult to keep way oil from fouling the 'fibre-grip' on the plate.

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/specialty-products/fiber-grip-

Not so much since it also has water resistent properties. So oil or any other greasy substance Will not replace the Carbon Grease or anti seize that quick.
The grain in it is usually grind from shells or clamps. Freely translates from dutch as silversand. Like on the decks of polyester boats.

The more I think about it, the more it looks like the whole tailstock design is not designed to hold very much strain. The quill screw and nut, the dovetail joint between base and TS body and the hand crank among other features are such that it might be a good thing that the TS slips on the ways at some point to prevent over stressing the system.
If a TS slips at relatively low pressure when the locking mechanism is well adjusted and tightened normally, I would try wiping the TS ways dry to get better traction on the ways and leave it at that.

I have a similar problem on my pm1440 if there is any serious
tail stock pressure the tail stock slides on the ways. My plan is to remove the paint from the clamping ways and to machine the clamping surfaces of the bottom plate flat. If that fails I may increase the length of the clamping lever.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Did you resolve this problem? I found on my pm1440 that the spring pin that holds the locking cam on the shaft was too short. It would flex, and eventually it broke off. I replaced it with a longer pin. The tail stock will still walk under heavy drilling pressure, but its a lot better. I may replace the spring pin (roll pin) with a solid tapered pin. A longer (and heavier) handle might help but I think the flex in the pin is partially the culprit. I did take up the clamping bolt a turn so you can't quite push the lever to the stop anymore. That also helped some. If I lean into it with a light surge of pressure it helps a little more.

Back