Slipping tail stock

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I was recently asked a question about a slipping tail stock which I had improved by adjustment but it still wasn't good like my Cklausing so I got curious and removed the clamping plate from my Asian lathe. In the picture below you are looking at the tail stock clamp, the blue stripes on each side are the machined surfaces that snug up to the bottom side of the lathe ways when the tailstock is set to hold work pieces or drill holes. After 5 years of service the paint is still there. Also they are bowed with the center being lower. I intend on trying to make them straight and parallel.
Photo041.jpg

I tried every trick I know and cannot see the photo either.

I saw a similar problem once where the clamp plate, which was cast, had some flashing on the sides that prevented the plate from clamping properly. Once the sides of the plate were cleaned up so that it had proper side clearance under the bed it worked much better.

I have a similar problem on my pm1440 if there is any serious
tail stock pressure the tail stock slides on the ways. My plan is to remove the paint from the clamping ways and to machine the clamping surfaces of the bottom plate flat. If that fails I may increase the length of the clamping lever.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I tried every trick I know and cannot see the photo either.

If you use tapatalk you Will have to attach the pic instead of just sending or paste it.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

I was recently asked a question about a slipping tail stock which I had improved by adjustment but it still wasn't good like my Cklausing so I got curious and removed the clamping plate from my Asian lathe. In the picture below you are looking at the tail stock clamp, the blue stripes on each side are the machined surfaces that snug up to the bottom side of the lathe ways when the tailstock is set to hold work pieces or drill holes. After 5 years of service the paint is still there. Also they are bowed with the center being lower. I intend on trying to make them straight and parallel.
Photo041.jpg
Just curious but what is different about the Clausing TS clamping system versus the problem one?

I had that same problem with my M1112 shop fox (g4003g eqiv)
One of the big sales pitches was that the tailstock could be torqued to be very accurate.
At the torque they specify the tailstock would slide on the ways.
So I built a "backstop" for it. It works well, I don't always use it but if I need it for heavier "pushes" it's handy to have.
The aluminum top is 1.25 x 1.5 x appox 5" long. the bottom is D2 and is 3/4 x 2.5 x 4" and clamped by a 7/16 bolt.
Just slide it up behind the tailstock and clamp it down with a 5/8 wrench. There is a relief milled into it for the tailstock centering indicator and rivets so they are not flattened.
20170802_090541.jpg

Just curious but what is different about the Clausing TS clamping system versus the problem one?
Don't know about the OP but I had a Clausing with a cam operated tail stock clamp, there was a nut on the bottom of the clamp block foe adjusting the tension that worked a charm.

I had some problems at first with my G4003G TS slipping. I cleaned off the underside of the way and adjusted the nut underneath. All is well now. If that didn't work I was going to make a bigger plate for the underside.

Back