Showing off my RC model boats

"TooManyHobies58" I like that nickname, lol.

Thank you for the videos.

Where can I run a model submarine in New Jersey? Not many places as most lakes the water is murky and you have no idea what is down there. Weeds usually start growing in the lakes as well. Weeds and the unknown are not good for model submarines!

There are two events I go to. One is at the US Navy Submarine Base in New London Connecticut. We usually call it Groton. It is held once a year. Lately it's been in May, not the time of year most of us want. In the past it was September, we liked September. Anyway, here is a video I made of our run in Groton. Another long one.

The other place we run is in Cahutta Georgia. This is event is called Subfest and is run by Bob Martin of Nautilus Drydocks. An awesome gathering of model submariners. Another long video by me.

And here is a video by Bob

Last edited:
Man, that KAAMA really rips it up out there!

We had regular monthly sailings at a lake at Leisure Village. It is a nice big lake. I can run KAAMA which is a speed demon. The water was clear but dark, and as the year goes on the weeds grow up from the bottom. Although you can see the weeds from the dock and pier under the surface, they didn't seem to come up the the surface allowing us to run our models so the props would not foul. I decided to run the Marlin and keep it near the docks. Well, as can be seen in the Google screenshot, I lost the Marlin August 2019. I saw it submerge and that was it. We searched the area over the next few days and no sign of the model. Someone there knew I lost it, one day in April 2020 the sun was shinning at the right level and he saw the boat underwater, not far from the shore in about four feet of water. He took his row boat out and with help recovered the model.

Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 2.40.56 PM.png

Here is the model 1-2 hours after recovery.

IMG_2923.jpeg

Covered in algae and growth.

IMG_3831.jpeg

When I opened it up found a small catfish.

IMG_3840.jpeg

Put it in a bag, went back to the lake and released it.

IMG_3843.jpeg

The inside was covered in grime as well. Bottom hull.

IMG_3846.jpeg

Upper hull.

IMG_3852.jpeg

IMG_3914.jpeg

Sail.

IMG_3856.jpeg

IMG_3857.jpeg

Inside the acrylic sub driver after eight months there was only about 1/4 of water in the electronics section. Since there was water, moisture, the metal motor can rusted. I was able to get the motor working with some WD40. I did replace the motor anyway.

IMG_3870.jpeg

Kept the boat wet in the bath tub while I cleaned off each section.

IMG_3872.jpeg

The algae/grime came off pretty easily. Hard part was getting in the tight areas.

IMG_3909.jpeg

IMG_3931.jpeg

IMG_3937.jpeg

IMG_3942.jpeg

The paint bubbled. You can see the bubbling in this picture. The model was sitting in mud and the bottom part that sat in the mud did not bubble. Some day I might strip it down and repaint it but other modelers tell me not to as it looks well weathered, and it is natural weathering.

IMG_3944.jpeg

You can also see the paint bubbled on the sail.

IMG_3947.jpeg

One life down...eight to go! Love the patina on the exterior. Getting that thing back must have felt like christmas day! What a journey!

Next is my KAAMA. Not sure how many build pictures you want to see. Getting tired of the build pictures? Do you want to see detailed pictures like the other models? With each model, you have different things you have to design or make. For this boat I have a fiberglass hull with the deck. It came with a cockpit but was nothing like I wanted so I had to make the entire cockpit/engine covers/windshield. And os course put the motor in and running hardware on the back (transom) of the boat.

Pictures of the real boat....

KAAMA01 copy.jpg

KAAMA1.jpg

KAAMA07.jpg

KAAMA09.jpg

KAAMA11.jpg

KAAMA12.jpg

Last edited:
How do you get the little figures to hold up their arms like that...? Sorry, couldn't resist...;)

Back