Show Us Your Welding Projects!

Thank you Sir ! I didn't know what kind of steel they used for speaker baskets and whether there was any compositional difference between the flange I cut off the speaker from 1980 and the new one . I know the 625 would wet in quick and smooth to whatever it is ...also i've got alot of 625 rod in 0.045 over here . Sure ER70 would have likely worked just fine but I knew the 625 would work . I figure it was a one shot deal with the pressed cardboard and the paper so close on the back side. The chill blocks are the biggest factor, they wick away heat from going toward the paper. Same chill blocks behind these 304 Stainless corners, some kind of cover for something at my buddies work, 30 thou thick , no back purge , just alum chill blocks .
------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 143499

That's a good plan, Subway! I may have to put some inco filler in my arsenal for those hail mary repairs. My current hail mary filler is 309 or 312. Your buddy's SS corner joint looks good. Chill blocks can (as your buddy demonstrated) can trap enough Ar behind the joint to shield. My go to in those scenarios is Solar Flux Type B. I love that stuff, hell I put it on my waffles.

That's a good plan, Subway! I may have to put some inco filler in my arsenal for those hail mary repairs. My current hail mary filler is 309 or 312. Your buddy's SS corner joint looks good. Chill blocks can (as your buddy demonstrated) can trap enough Ar behind the joint to shield. My go to in those scenarios is Solar Flux Type B. I love that stuff, hell I put it on my waffles.
If u need a little 625 or others I could prolly hook you up. Btw none of my buddy's weld. I am the "buddy" ...And they never bring me easy weld repairs...Always thin Aluminum, 2T engine cases , thin stainless like above. All barter system with me on the short end... ...Lol

If u need a little 625 or others I could prolly hook you up. Btw none of my buddy's weld. I am the "buddy" ...And they never bring me easy weld repairs...Always thin Aluminum, 2T engine cases , thin stainless like above. All barter system with me on the short end... ...Lol

That is a very generous offer my friend, thank you. I may hit you up on that one later. I am sorry for misreading your post.....I thought that was your buddies corner joint. It looks good though. Motorcycle cases have always been a crap shoot for me with the unknown alloys or oil impregnation. Some of them weld up like dog squeeze and others dimes. Oddly enough, old Harley cases have treated me well. Must be all those Milwaukee's Best recycled beer cans.

I learned something from you with the 625 filler and am gunna steal your trick! I hope you don't mind. Until now, I was not aware that inco filler could be used to join carbon and stainless steels. In my 'ol bag o tricks it goes.

I feel your pain. I operate on the barter system with my bros as well and usually end up taking the hit. They don't do it intentionally but, as you well know, they don't quite grasp how many thousands we have tied up in equipment, consumables, etc. That's not to mention the years of toil that we went through honing our skills to the point that we can spend 3 hours fixing their $10 p.o.s. for a few beers.

This leads me to a rant.......hang on!
When we were living in California, my neighbor had a portable car wash business. He asked me to build some sizable aluminum racks for his box van. The deal was I purchase materials, fab, install. He wanted to pay me in....yep....car washes. I responded, "are you sh##tin' me"? He reminded me how much he had invested in his rig. I told him that he was far better at his craft than I was at fabricating and he should go to a larger shop and make them that same offer. I think he figured out I was being a dick at that point.

I feel your pain. I operate on the barter system with my bros as well and usually end up taking the hit. They don't do it intentionally but, as you well know, they don't quite grasp how many thousands we have tied up in equipment, consumables, etc. That's not to mention the years of toil that we went through honing our skills to the point that we can spend 3 hours fixing their $10 p.o.s. for a few beers.

This leads me to a rant.......hang on!
When we were living in California, my neighbor had a portable car wash business. He asked me to build some sizable aluminum racks for his box van. The deal was I purchase materials, fab, install. He wanted to pay me in....yep....car washes. I responded, "are you sh##tin' me"? He reminded me how much he had invested in his rig. I told him that he was far better at his craft than I was at fabricating and he should go to a larger shop and make them that same offer. I think he figured out I was being a dick at that point.
That is hilarious ....and OK , so i'm not the only one ! Yeah they have no clue . They see three one half inch welds inside an KTM 250 engine and think ahh that was like 3 minutes . They don't grasp all the prep, , seeing how far the crack really goes, V grooving the crack, die grinding, making round, copper chill block/backing blocks .... As for the 625 , yeah it's good for dissimilars . It's good for steel that you dont know exactly what it is . It's also a very good filler for cast iron .

That is hilarious ....and OK , so i'm not the only one ! Yeah they have no clue . They see three one half inch welds inside an KTM 250 engine and think ahh that was like 3 minutes . They don't grasp all the prep, , seeing how far the crack really goes, V grooving the crack, die grinding, making round, copper chill block/backing blocks .... As for the 625 , yeah it's good for dissimilars . It's good for steel that you dont know exactly what it is . It's also a very good filler for cast iron .

OK, now you have piqued my interest. I sold my last bike not that long ago, a KTM 250SX.....no place good to ride around here. Do you ride? I have been working on the bill nazi for months. I think that I need a KTM 500EXC and supermoto it, as stated earlier her patience is thin with my purchases. The wife's offer is that I can buy one if she can get a Yamaha scooter. Nooooop, I'm afraid she will kill herself on that underpowered p.o.s. in traffic and little riding experience. Stalemated! She knew my concern and that I wouldn't make that deal.

I'm glad to know 625 works well with Cast. My go to on that is Al or Si bronze.

Yes I ride. KTM 300 XC , SX head . Get a small trailer, lotta rides a dual sports always going on. Here's some riding vid I took. I ride 40 B in the ECEA . ----------------------

Yes I ride. KTM 300 XC , SX head . Get a small trailer, lotta rides a dual sports always going on. Here's some riding vid I took. I ride 40 B in the ECEA . ----------------------

40B class has some fast boys in it! Great. Now you are igniting the bike bug....thanks! Just kidding. You're hookin' right along thru them trees. Love it! I may even watch your vid twice.

GoPro makes everything look flat and easy, fisheye loses perspective. That trail gets pretty nasty about a minute 30 in.... let's just go right off topic then...What the heck, here's 2 more !
-------------------------

You guys should start a separate thread, this one needs to get back on track. Thanks.

Back