Show us your "Heavy 10" (10L or 10R) & tell us about it!

Back up on Reply #22, there is a slight mistaken assumption. One that many folks make. When dealing with 2 different diameters in identical vee blocks, it is not correct to simply shim up the one with the smaller diameter by the difference in diameters. In the case of 90° vee blocks, a 0.2500" difference should have a 0.1768" shim. That is provided you want to shim straight up. It's simpler to shim each flank with 1/2 the diameter, saves the calculations. This is important if you are doing layout work, transferring points from different points along a shaft, or from one end to the other.

Not picking on anyone, just pointing it out. :)

Yes thank you Tony, I know I still have much to learn. But regarding that spindel, I found one and replaced it and it looks very true. In fact I just ended up replacing the whole head stock. I got a pretty sweet deal from a friend and I simply just swaped them out. I checked it at the nose and it looks like we're at .0005". Very tight. So if there's anything else that needs to be checked, please feel to chime in and let me know.
What I'll be getting at next pay day is a a new 4 jaw chuck and a plain back plate. I've been trying to win one on ebay but I'm just not up to speed on the auto-bid method yet. So I'm just going to buy one from Shares and in know it's Chinese made but I think it will accurate enough for me. If anyone out there has any kind of experiance with these, I'd apreciate it if you share it with me.
Now it seems I have another problem. I am learning how to operate this lathe and I've started to read "How to Operate a Lathe". So I'm trying to engage the back gear but it doesn't want to turn the spindle. I can hear the motor struggle and it will turn very slowly and then slow down to less than a crawl. I tried adjusting the height of the motor at the underdrive. I tried it by turning the threaded bolt that pivots and holds the motor mounting plate on the right side. It pivots and swivles and is attacthed to the to the handle assembly. In any case it did not change much except that if I loosened it, it made the flat belt slip on the cone step pulley.
Is my motor shot?
Or is there something else?

Re: Show us your

rotormotored link=topic=15.msg4151#msg4151 date=1297219745 said:
.I've been trying to win one on ebay but I'm just not up to speed on the auto-bid method yet.

Hey, sign up for Phantom Bidder:

http://www.phantombidder.com

I have been using it for years with no problems. Very inexpensive too. I use to wake up in the middle of the night to snipe ebay auctions.. I look back at those days and laugh ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my first lathe I just brought home last weekend. I imagine you all know more about it than I do, but I'll get it figured out.

sb1.jpg

Very nice looking lathe! Already has a QCTP, and you got a closer and a turret. Way to go! :)

And, welcome to the Group!

mscott link=topic=15.msg4634#msg4634 date=1297517898 said:
Here's my first lathe I just brought home last weekend. I imagine you all know more about it than I do, but I'll get it figured out.

Welcome to the forum!! Excellent first lathe!!

exactly like mine that I am restoring.. Now I can get an idea about what mine will look like. :)

please post your serial number.. our two lathes might be brothers :D

Hi again everyone,
Well it looks like I've finally solved my bent spindle problem. I bought another complete headstock and simply swapped them out. And doing that was suprisingly very easy. From what I can tell, it looks like this lathe comes apart and goes back together fairly easy.
I also found a good 8" chuck for it and it looks like my spindle is spinning this chuck and the work piece in the chuck at about ".0003. Wow! I've impressed myself. I think that's pretty tight. The only thing I'm having trouble with is that sometimes the back gear just becomes disengaged and there seems to be a big vibration at a certain speed, not sure which speed.
As I've said before, I am planning on a complete restoration. Here's some pics of what it looks like now:

IMG_1294b.JPG IMG_1295b.JPG IMG_1296b.JPG

IMG_1294b.JPG IMG_1295b.JPG IMG_1296b.JPG

Yes it does look big on there but I guess having an 8" is better for being able to hold odd shapes in it, so I'm told. I did want to buy a smaller chuck like a 4'' or a 6'' but I kept loosing on ebay because I guess I'm just not capable of bidding like a real pro. I kept looking for a chuck that will fit a 2 1/4 x 8tpi spindle and they were being bought up quicker than you know what. Someone on here sent me a link to phantom bid but I haven't set that up yet. Anyway, I know a guy out here who goes around buying up machine shop equipment from I don't know where, so I called him and sure enough he had one for me. I still want get a small chuck to put on this SB but for now I'll just use this one.
What do you think?

knudsen link=topic=15.msg5301#msg5301 date=1298415819 said:
I was just surprised by how much bigger than a 6" it looks on a 10. I like it! It should be good, so long as the jaws don't hit the ways. I remember when I put a 4" 4 jaw on my 7 x how much bigger it looked than the old 3 jaw. I never took the 4" 4 jaw off! If I have to choose between big or small for a lathe chuck, I'll take the big one. 8)

Wouldn't it be better to stay with a smaller chuck to avoid a strain on the spindle bearings?
Just thinking out loud..

As for putting an additional strain on the spindle bearings, well I don't think that'a a big factor. Of course, I'm just a newbee at this and I have much to learn but how much of an added strain could it be?

Back