Show us your "Heavy 10" (10L or 10R) & tell us about it!

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
We take great pride in our machines!

This is the thread to post photos of your South Bend "Heavy 10" lathes, 10L or 10R, show "before" and "after photos of the great job of restoration you have done, and basically make our mouths water with the tooling and accessories you have accumulated for your machine.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but some captions would be awfully nice too!

So come on....let's see what you got!

Best,

Nelson

Re: Show us your Heavy 10! 10L or 10R and tell us about it!

My 1941 10L 4 1/2' bed. USN model sold to GE in Ft Wayne Ind. It came with a collet closer and the USN sn was the same on the lathe as the collet closer. It has the metal cabinet which i didn't like and left it in Mich where i bought the lathe. I have since bought the cast iron bell and cast leg for the right side. I don't have any tooling except for a hundred pounds of stuff that was in the drawer including 6 lantern tool holders and a brand new set of half nuts. I have a new Grizzly 3/4 hp motor installed with a aametalmaster made pulley in the bell end but i haven't put it all together. I want to get the bed ground or planed since it is so bad. But for now it is just in storage in my basement...Bob

1941_10L.jpg usn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't know how far i will rebuild it. I might just put it together and run it. I don't need to do all my work on this one machine since i have 3 more SBL's but i do like the big spindle hole. Its a great start and i always wanted one...Bob

knudsen link=topic=15.msg91#msg91 date=1285634121 said:
Or do an all out museum quality rebuild, but that would have to be after I retire... a long time from now.
I don't know which one i will make pretty. My 10K, 10L or 1919 15" I prob will just use them all. I would like to have a little JR all spiffed up on display...Bob

I don't have a Heavy 10, but a 4-1/2 long bed 9A, which I thought about replacing with a Heavy 10 I found for sale locally. Sounded good. Came with a 3 and 6 jaw chuck, steady rest, about a dozen collets, collet chuck, and supposedly lots of tooling. Maybe it just me, and yes everything the San Francisco bay area is expensive, but $3,500?! The pictures of the unit show it to be well used, nothing restored or anything like that. What is a reasonable price for a Heavy 10?

- Phil

Here is my 1978 10L:

2827140901_eea1ba5231_b.jpg 2827973512_6252a0c207_b.jpg 2827977212_cc0357b8ff_b.jpg 2827979444_1c046aa28e_b.jpg 2828381719_e36f7f938e.jpg 2828384127_fca9b601a8.jpg 2828385281_dac8fd85e2.jpg 2828386521_20270d979c.jpg 2828387747_2c7eda2b61.jpg 2828388917_dc3a2f08f8.jpg

Here is mine. It is a 1968 10L. I use it mostly for chambering benchrest rifle barrels. It has a freshly re-wound 3 phase motor, and the fine feed motor and drive. The accessories that I have are the handwheel collet closer, micrometer carriage stop, the lever collet closer, steady rest, follower rest, a 4 jaw skinner, a 6 jaw Buck set tru, and a 3 jaw Buck set tru, about 30 assorted 5c collets and an 8 inch faceplate. I have the Newall DRO and an Aloris QCTP and several tool holders. I also have a factory rebuilt Dumore tool post grinder. The lathe has a brand new lead screw and half nuts. I recently went thru the apron and replaced a cracked casting and put in new wicks. I also recently replaced my rotary phase converter with a Minarik Variable Frequency Drive. Much quieter and I can run the lathe as slow as 20 rpm and have full power! On the high end, it will hit 1760 rom but I don't like to abuse the headsock bearings.

Here is a picture of the fine feed gearing. The extra motor on the back can be configured to drive the lead screw independently of the spindle by loosening the banjo clamp and pushing it down to engage the gear behind the large pulley. There are only two accessories that I need to complete my collection - an original thread stop and an original lantern tool post.

Re: Show us your

Hi everybody, a month ago I bought my first SB lathe form a guy in the San Diego area. The serial number is 144201 with an anchor next ot it. So this one is also a war baby built in 1943 and originally sold to the navy. It looks smaller to me than some of the others I've seen and maybe it's because the bed is about 36 inches long. I like that it looks compact and that makes it easier to find space for in my garage but for now, I'm able to keep it at work because I work out of an airplane hanger and I've got some room for it there. I got it with a single phase motor but the previous owner threw in the old 3 phase motor and pulley and I installed it. Since I already had a static phase converter connected to the service box for use on my bridgeport mill and my other lathe (a Clausing 6300 x 12"), I disconnected the wires going to the Clausing and connected them to the SB. It came on and ran like a champ. I do have some issue's to attend to but the most pressing one is the bent spindel( about .008 run-out), but for the most part the lathe looks to be in descent shape.
I do plan on a full restoration in time but for now, I do need to find a true spindle and a good 4 independant jaw chuck. I've tried to cut the spindel true but it just made my chuck worse. The 3 jaw chuck that came with it is not very good and I've seen very few 3 jaw chucks that ever run true. I even tried to save it by taking it apart and cleaning it then cutting in inside of the jaws true with a boring cutter. It seems to have made it worse so now when I chuck a piece of 1" steel rod, my dail indicator reads about .028".
So that's where I am with this lathe. So if anyone out there has a good 2 1/4 x 8 TPI spindel, please or ANY other good ideas, Please let me know.
Thanks, Ed

IMG_1240b.JPG IMG_1243b.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG IMG_1240b.JPG IMG_1243b.JPG

Yes I think you're right, I have been going round and round with this problem for almost a month and everything just brings me back to the spindel. Then again it just comes down to time and money. I've got to find a good spindel and hopefully I won't have to break the piggy bank to do it.
thanks, dieselrider.
Ed

Back