Show us your "Heavy 10" (10L or 10R) & tell us about it!

Re: Show us your

I have proved to myself that it is in fact a bent spindle on my Heavy 10. I took it out of the headstock and used a set of V blocks and a dail indicator on a granite slab. It appears to be bent at point of the bearing surface. And I do have another Spindle and a whole other headstock on the way. When it was installed I measured at the nose and got .008" and when I had it removed I got .006" on the bearing surface and then checked at the nose and got the same .008" as before. I had to prove it to myself and then show the rest of you guys.

IMG_1280b.JPG IMG_1281b.JPG IMG_1284b.JPG

IMG_1280b.JPG IMG_1281b.JPG IMG_1284b.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Apparently I was method of measuring was incorrect. I have been corrected by the guys at Practical machinist who told me that I had to place the V-blocks under the bearing journals. So I had to measure them then subtract the difference. I got 2.125 for the big bearing journal and 1.875 for the small one. So that gives me a difference of .250" and I just happened to have a piece of .250" in my scrap box and stuck under the V-block of the small journal and then took my reading. I got .005" run out. Does that still mean it's not true and out of tolerance?

IMG_1291b.JPG

IMG_1291b.JPG

Well, that's the point. It is not true when installed in the head stock on the lathe. So now that I have the proof that I need, I'm going to replace it. Not only the spindel but the whole head stock. I had the spindel on the V-blocks where the cone pulley sits and I got about .008" run out. Then I was informed that I was measuring incorrectly so I complied by placing the spindel on the bearing journals and got .005" with it getting slightly better as I moved the indicator rearward. When I say slightly better, I mean by the time I got towards the rear, it read .004". I'll go back and check it again tomorrow but I thinking any way you slice it, I've got a bent spindel.
Ed

Yes I'm looking for another back plate for 2 reasons. 1) the back plate looks like it been beat badly. 2) the thread register has some damaged threads. I did machine the very back of the back plate and it just seemed to make it worse. I'm also getting another chuck because the threads in the chuck are almost completely stripped and that is probably another reason the chuck won't run true.
If the spindel is egg shaped, It will not run true, right?

I do have .008" run out when I place the dail indicator on the inside of the spindel. I place the incicator on the chamfered surface at the very before the through hole.

As it turns out, I have run out on the I.D. (.008").
On the raised section behind the thread (.005")
On the face that contacts the the back plate (.004")
On the cone pulley assembly surface (.006")
I do not have any run out at surface just behind the threads because I tried to remedy the problem by taking a lite cut.
I also get no run out at the bearing journals with the V blocks under them so there's no egg shape there.
I think that it's possible that I might have a bent spindel. I know that seems hard to believe because many of the experianced guys tell me that they have never seen a bent spindel. I have had other people tell me that it is possible.
I'll bet that I'll need to go over that procedure on truing a spindel real hard. I think that is going to help.

very early Heavy 10

I bought this running but grungy Heavy 10 on Craigslist for $250. As you can see it has the plain bearings with the dome-head cap screws which were only used 1939-1940 AFAIK. I'm planning to clean it up, nothing fancy, repaint, new felts, and hopefully adjust the spindle bearing so I can start using it. It was delivered 4/19/1940 to the US Navy, the serial number is 98,423 making it one of the earliest Heavy 10 i have seen. Originally it was a 10R but at some point in 70 years it changed to a 10L.

I'm interested in cataloging some model changes that took place in the war years and would be interested in anyone with very early models contacting me. Specifically I am looking for the dates when the bearing caps were changed from the old style dome-head cap bolts to the allen cap bolts; when the cone pulley cover lost its round knob; when the single QCG lost its oil hole; when the tailstock lost it's 2 gits oilers on top and changed shape; plus any other incidentals I may have missed.

It has an Aloris wedge type tool post and I have a new set of indexable tools and spare carbide that came with it. Those items cost more than I paid for the lathe.

I need to track down a 4 jaw chuck and a faceplate as well as a threading dial, a collet closer and collets are also planned for the future. Tight budget and health concerns may make those items a distant prospect though.

On my truck arriving home.
5324286515_5c48a3098c_o.jpg

In case anyone is contemplating a move, I bolted the lathe to a couple of 2X12 pieces cut to fit between the wheelwells of the truck. I had already cut some 2X4 to length to fit side to side and the length of the bed with the tailgate closed. These were screwed to the 2X12. This prevented it shifting fore and aft and side to side. A few straps and the load was very secure. Rented engine hoist handled the lifting duties fine.

5324286811_cb4e6d073a_o.jpg

Serial number with anchor.

5322671072_6d8846f0d2_o.jpg

Original 220 3 phase was swapped for a single phase by last owner.

5341223810_05d6214e90_o.jpg

More photos of the lathe can be seen here, some are a bit artsy as I enjoy photography. I'll be adding to the photos as I work on it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cledry/sets/72157625742731552/with/5324286515/

Jim

Here is my 10L sitting at the point of purchase

(here is a link outlining my purchase: http://hobby-machinist.com/index.php?topic=601.msg2899#msg2899 )

I have started on the restore, but will wait for more progress before posting text or pictures.

IMG_1262.jpg

btw: I am totally consumed on pushing forward to having a beautiful and usable heavy 10.. it is affecting my sleep :)

Thanks for the info on you 1945. Looks Like my tailstock wrench is probably the wrong one, perhaps from a Logan?

5341116294_6899ce539b_o.jpg

5341114044_31c250412a_o.jpg

Jim

knudsen link=topic=15.msg3820#msg3820 date=1296742616 said:
You got a goodun' Chuck. Glad to hear someone else loses sleep over such matters :D That under lathe storage will be nice. I have to add a shelf under my 10's CI legs.

Yes.. those drawers are nice and also a nice ledge in the middle for a piece of plywood.

Worked on the bench tonight.. paint stripper and pressure washing.. almost ready to paint it!

Back