Show us your "Heavy 10" (10L or 10R) & tell us about it!

Re: Show us your

Here's my 10L I bought it on E bay for $416. It's a 1943 SER# 135694. There is no knob on the step pulley cover. It came with a hand wheel collet closer, a bunch of collets and a rack, threading dial, a live and a dead center and a lantern tool post with a straight tool holder. I put new wicks in the spindle and the apron, adjusted the spindle bearings, made a chip pan for it and put a serpentine belt on it. I hope that is all I'll have to do to it because I'd much rather run it than work on it.

IMG_1064b.JPG

IMG_1064b.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Show us your

tried to move to get rid of the glare. It actually looks better in the pics. than it does in person paint is chipped and peeling pretty badly.

IMG_1065b.JPG

IMG_1065b.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Show us your "Heavy 10" (10L or 10R) & tell us about it!

My 1964 10" SB toolroom lathe. Bought it out of government surplus in 1975. Originally vended by CAE Morse Ltd. in Halifax Nova Scotia to the Royal Canadian Navy and installed on the repair ship HMCS Kapuskasing. Ship was scrapped and assets listed for sale. I spotted the sale flyer and went to view it. Lathe was sitting on a pallet beside the cabinet along with accessories. Based on original SB literature these lathes did not come with chucks, collets (although the drawbar, spindle nose and nut, and collet rack were included) or electrical equipment. The Navy fitted this one with the 3 jaw, 5C collets in 1/16ths, quick release collet drawbar and 550V 3 ph electrics with a 3 button control switch. Government sales were based on sealed bids in which I was lucky. Subsequent viewing of my prize showed the outside jaws for the 3 jaw chuck were missing, no 4 jaw, one of the collet set missing, collet nose cone and spindle nut missing, the quick release drawbar nose slightly squished and the flat belt was cut to facilitate disassembly and moving.

Got a parts/ repair manual from SB and did a complete tear down, paint and rebuild. Stripped out all the wiring and using the 3ph contactor blocks (they operate on 115v 1ph) in the big control box on the back of the lathe wired up a 1 1/2hp motor with the original fwd/rev/off button switch. Made a new collet nose cone, collet spindle nut, worried the collet drawbar threaded end back to original shape, bought a 4 jaw, new laced flat belt and I was in business. I just tinker for myself but it has now served me well for 39 years.

Shop 137.jpg

Shop 137.jpg

Re: Show us your Heavy 10! 10L or 10R and tell us about it!

Here is my 1978 10L:

I notice two small differences from my 1964 10" toolroom lathe which I would have thought would be standard manufacture design . On is the "turned" tail stock clamping handle vice the "cast' handle on mine, and the second is a much shorter front belt tightening lever. Interesting but odd.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my 1978 10L:

I notice two small differences from my 1964 10" toolroom lathe which I would have thought would be standard manufacture design . On is the "turned" tail stock clamping handle vice the "cast' handle on mine, and the second is a much shorter front belt tightening lever. Interesting but odd.

Back